Welcome to our forums!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. Registration is free, and you'll be able to have full access to our forum, chat, ads, galleries, classifieds, blogs, and all other features of our community.

Photo
- - - - -

My Sweet Fig

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   BooBooKitty

BooBooKitty

Guide Dog

• Premium Member
  • 3,228 posts
  • Name:Fonda

Posted 01 March 2011 - 07:43 PM

QUOTE (Sarah @ Mar 1 2011, 09:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have always thought Fig was such a sweet name. I was wondering if there was a story behind it? Hugs to you,

Sarah

heh. Sort of.....

DH and I were excited to get our first IG through rescue. We both decided hat we wanted to name our girl IG Dynamite and call her Dynah.

"This is our Italian Greyhound DYNAH-Mite!"

We had been approved and "lost" a couple of girls that had gone to a home before getting to us, then a single fawn came along. She had not been in a foster home prior to being dropped off at our IG Rescue rep's house.

We showed up an hour or so after she was dropped off and we took her home. We knew nothing about her prior to that other than her name was "Fawn". Since I was named Fonda, we did not want her to be confused by the similarity, so we agreed to change her name. She obviously missed someone and did not fully trust either of us...She was nervous and timid... WE were nervous and timid....and she was no Dynah.

Our second choice for a cute fawn dog was "Peanut".... she was no Peanut.

We lived with a dog with no name for a few days. We knocked around names: Priscilla (the wife of Elvis), Miss P, Dynamite, Dynah, Peanut, Martini, Teenie, Micro, Jezebel, Marilyn......and on and on......

One day DH came home from work and greeted the dog. He said "Hi there Little Fig"....and that was it.

DH has not disclosed what Fig meant to him or where it came from. Did he mean FIG to say "Female Italian Greyhound" or "Fabulous Italian Greyhound" or "Fonda's Italian Greyhound"? We may never know if there was anything to the pet name he uttered to her that day......

From that day on, Fig always meant to me that she was a sweet little fruit that you do not find just anywhere, to be enjoyed with goat cheese, pine nuts and crusty bread or simply on a walk in the park on a cool fall day.

user_587_e18.gifBoo Boo Kitty   2003 - 2014

#27 OFFLINE   Sarah

Sarah

Veteran Dog

• IGW Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts
  • Name:Sarah

Posted 02 March 2011 - 12:13 PM

Thanks for sharing that, what a sweet story! I love a simple one syllable name. Pearl's name is my favorite, plus you don't meet a lot of dogs with the name Pearl (or Fig). I would love to have met your sweet girl. I know the emptiness when a beloved pet is gone all too well. Take care of yourself and give Boo some extra cuddles.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePearl, Opal, Ruby, and Quinn

Posted Image

#28 OFFLINE   LoganMango

LoganMango

Big Dog

• IGW Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Interests:Teaching, 5 IG rescues.
  • Name:Michelle

Posted 06 March 2011 - 05:34 PM

It seems not that long ago.

#29 OFFLINE   abbysmom

abbysmom

Cat Chaser

• IGW Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Name:Ann

Posted 09 March 2011 - 11:16 AM

It's hard to believe it has been 4 years. Fig will always mean a lot to so many; she and you tried so hard...the story always brings tears to my eyes when I think of it. Sorry I am a little late getting my remembrances to you; just been a cold, tough winter that's kept us more busy than we like.
abbysmom

Abby (IG) & Ann ("mom")
John (DH) & Whisper (Great Dane)

Dancing Thru Pregnancy blog

#30 OFFLINE   MaureenandtheCiaohoundz

MaureenandtheCiaohoundz

Pack Member

• IGW Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • Name:Maureen

Posted 19 March 2011 - 05:42 PM

Just read your post...been busy and have not been on here much. I love how much you loved and still love Fig. A beautiful tribute. I have my heart laid out for two very special fur kids in my life. I do not let a year go by without some type of thing to commemorate their existence in my life. After all, as you well know, they are family. I fee so very blessed that they were in my life. So very blessed. And even though my heart is squeezed in sorrow and the heart wrenching pain of grief...I am so much better a human being for having loved them and they loved me...then to have never known them. Fonda, rejoice in the bond you and Fig had while she was here....rejoice in the bond that you and Fig will share until the end of time xoxoxo
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Maureen
owned and trained by the Ciaohoundz: Trevor, Grace, Mozart and Riley
Harmony and Vegas are now with my beloved Puccini at the Rainbow Bridge

#31 OFFLINE   Kaylee

Kaylee

Big Dog

• Premium Member
  • 385 posts
  • Name:Cathy

Posted 20 March 2011 - 05:50 AM

I too have always loved her name. Beautiful tribute and story of how Fig's name came to be. wub.gif
Posted Image

#32 OFFLINE   shadedmoonigs

shadedmoonigs

Guide Dog

• IGW Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts
  • Name:Niki

Posted 20 March 2011 - 09:57 AM

Hugs to you Fonda give_heart.gif
Posted ImageRiyadhPosted ImageAspenPosted ImageCairoPosted ImageCubaPosted ImageNasirPosted ImageSaudiPosted ImageCaliph

Please visit my website and shop
www.shadedmoonitaliangreyhounds.co.uk

www.etsy.com/shop/shadedmoon
Posted Image

'We are alone, absolutely alone on this chance planet: amidst all the forms of life that surround us not one, excepting the dog, has made an alliance with us.' - Maurice Maeterlinck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users