Welcome to our forums!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. Registration is free, and you'll be able to have full access to our forum, chat, ads, galleries, classifieds, blogs, and all other features of our community.

Photo

Craigslist scam?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Jane

Jane

Guide Dog

• IGW Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,294 posts
  • Interests:I love to knit, sew, crochet and of course spend time with the dogs.
  • Name:Jane

Posted 27 August 2009 - 11:30 AM

Picked this off another forum, it will most likely get moved offline anyway. Hartford (CT?) and it sounds like a scam to me.

http://hartford.crai...1342390210.html

**I went ahead and emailed with a suggestion of rescue.
Posted Image

#2 IGW Guest: "pinkegg"

IGW Guest: "pinkegg"
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2009 - 11:59 AM

really? i hope not i sent it to mary frankio (igca rescue rep)

what would the scam be?

#3 OFFLINE   Jane

Jane

Guide Dog

• IGW Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,294 posts
  • Interests:I love to knit, sew, crochet and of course spend time with the dogs.

Posted 27 August 2009 - 12:03 PM

QUOTE (pinkegg @ Aug 27 2009, 02:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
really? i hope not i sent it to mary frankio (igca rescue rep)

what would the scam be?

we've had several topic here how these things are scams. In the last few weeks, a photo of a dog that supposedly for adoption, was just a copy form another website a member found. I'll look for a link to that.
Posted Image

#4 IGW Guest: "pinkegg"

• Guests

Posted 27 August 2009 - 12:13 PM

oh man, i'm so gullible! i'll have to email Mary again.

#5 OFFLINE   aandboriginals

aandboriginals

Cat Chaser

• IGW Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • Name:Angela

Posted 27 August 2009 - 12:31 PM

I don't understand what the scam would be??? maybe I am just tired.... can you explain Jane??
Posted Image

#6 OFFLINE   Jane

Jane

Guide Dog

• IGW Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,294 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 01:38 PM

Linda, anybody, where is that topic that talks about people scamming on craigslist? Wasn't it Lori, or who that was able to bring up a totally copied photo from another website?
Posted Image

#7 OFFLINE   Jane

Jane

Guide Dog

• IGW Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,294 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 01:55 PM

I still can't find the topic warning about craigslist, but here is the one about the CL dog being a copied photo

#9 by kelly

http://www.igwhisper...?...t=0&start=0
Posted Image

#8 OFFLINE   Jane

Jane

Guide Dog

• IGW Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,294 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 03:05 PM

I got a response of NO, not interested in rescue.
Posted Image

#9 IGW Guest: "pinkegg"

• Guests

Posted 27 August 2009 - 03:12 PM

i emailed the person explaining to them what rescue was and who Mary Frankio is and the CL person emailed me back with this to say:

"no thanks"

that's it, that's all she wrote. the person's email only had her first name too. found that to be odd. so, probably is some sort of scam, but still not sure what exactly the scam is. i'll check out that other thread Jane thanks. btw, i've emailed Mary back to let her know it is most likely a scam.

well you know what they say, no good deed goes un-punished wacko.gif

#10 IGW Guest: "pinkegg"

• Guests

Posted 27 August 2009 - 03:13 PM

QUOTE (Jane @ Aug 27 2009, 03:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I got a response of NO, not interested in rescue.

did you email her too?

#11 OFFLINE   aandboriginals

aandboriginals

Cat Chaser

• IGW Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • Name:Angela

Posted 27 August 2009 - 03:46 PM

I guess what I am wondering is who gets scammed?? and what gets scammed??? I am being stupid today.....

I know a lot of people who give up dogs refuse to give them to rescue... don't know why, just know that it is commonplace....

But help me out Jane.... what would the scam itself be???
Posted Image

#12 OFFLINE   Jane

Jane

Guide Dog

• IGW Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,294 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 04:57 PM

Nancy, yes, I did email, and that was the response: "NO, I'm interested in finding a loving home." I don't know what people think rescue is, and they fail to understand that the chances of finding a home that understands IGs is slim.

Angela, Craigslist is certainly not all scams by any means. I'm hoping one of the others will weigh in here, with some examples, but it's been posted here about people who pick up dogs from shelters, and put them on Craigslist for money. And we didn't look into that one I keep referring to, but that dogs photo was definitely just an IG pic lifted off a website. Kelly said maybe they used it as an example of an IG, but it sure didn't say that, it was portrayed as the dog being rehomed.

Linda has a piece written up here that she used to send to a Craigslister, a way to approach other than just saying "do you want to give the dog up to rescue". It needs to be put in the "best of" so I can find it

and scam may be a bit harsh, as you see with Belladog's story, that craigslister was going to take her to court to get the dog back. That one today just sounded funny. If you went to get that particular dog, were you going to give the person a check they would then turn over to the shelter? They didn't say they were the shelter, in fact, after getting an email from them, I'd say no way are they.
Posted Image

#13 OFFLINE   Linda

Linda

IGW Admin

• IGW Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,586 posts
  • Interests:My interests involve Anything and Everything IG. I have been making my own raw diet since 2006 and now am a big fan of dehydrating...now making all my dogs treats as well. I also love sewing and enjoy making reversible harness vests.

https://www.facebook.com/ReversibleHarnessVestsByLinda

http://www.igwhispers.com/forum/index.php?showforum=53
  • Name:Linda

Posted 27 August 2009 - 07:15 PM

I think many people look at placing their dogs with a rescue as a sign of failure.....so they don't even consider it. They would rather place their dog with someone, a stranger, who replies to an add, with the false feeling of security that their beloved pet is going into a secure home. Little do they know that chances are their dog will show up again on CL as a family pet that needs to be re-homed (with a fee) because of:
1) new baby is allergic
2) divorce
3) lost job
4) lost home and rental won't allow pets
5) no time because of new job

I visit the shelter websites so much that I have recognized pure bred dogs that have been adopted for 50-70 dollars, then are put on CL for a rehoming fee of up to $200.

If someone wants to find out what is going on...they should send an email as an interested party, not from rescue. Should be interesting as to if they want their "donation" paid directly to the shelter or directly into their pocket.

Here is an example of a letter I wrote to someone on Cl.

http://www.igwhisper...;hl=craigs list

And another Thread with a letter I wrote to someone else on CL
http://www.igwhisper...;hl=craigs list
Linda
IGCA Rescue Volunteer

Star
11/23/90-7/13/05

Posted Image
"One of the unspoken truths of American life is how deeply people grieve over animals who live and die
with them, how real the emptiness is, how profound is the silence these creatures leave in their wake."
From Dog Years by Mark Doty
Posted Image
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then I want to go where they went.-Josh Billings

My Story, and why I love it here****Facebook****YouTube****ReversibleHarnessVestsByLinda

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users