Welcome to our forums!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. Registration is free, and you'll be able to have full access to our forum, chat, ads, galleries, classifieds, blogs, and all other features of our community.

- - - - -

Miss Gracie is gone

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   GoGreyhound

Stray Dog

• IGW Member
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Name:Becky

Posted 22 August 2009 - 09:46 PM

This happened a few weeks ago, and everything has been a blur since then...I don't think I posted about it on this forum, so I'm reposting it just in case...things are not getting any easier to handle...the loss is just too much to bear...I miss her so much!!

Just a quick note to let you all know that I had to euthanize Miss Gracie yesterday...it was the hardest thing I've ever had to do, and I'm still second guessing myself as to whether I should've waited a bit longer. But she just had so many physical problems (heart murmur, enlarged heart, collapsed trachea, low thyroid, bad joints, liver numbers going up and down, skin allergies, weak back legs), and then on Monday, she started having seizures, became very confused and restless, and didn't want to eat anymore. (That was one of my conditions when I thought hypothetically about making the decision to put her down--Gracie always loved her food!) She stopped seizing, but she continued to be very mentally confused--jumping up on things that weren't there, pacing around the house constantly & staring at nothing, bumping into objects even though she could still see, and falling down a lot.

I was hoping against hope that the vet would have some miracle cure to pull out of his pocket so that I could keep her with me longer, but he said even if we got her through this episode somehow, he was pretty convinced Gracie had Cushings and a tumor in her pituitary gland, and at her age and with everything else wrong with her, the vet didn't hold out much hope for a good recovery prognosis. So I made the decision to put her down...I didn't want her to have anymore seizures (I know how awful those are, being an epileptic), to be in any kind of pain, or to be agitated and fearful of everything around her due to mental problems. Of all the animals I've ever had to euthanize, Gracie went the quickest and most peacefully...I was holding her in my arms, telling her how much I loved her and what a good girl she is, and within five seconds or less, it was over. Dr. Treat says that showed she really was ready to pass because she didn't fight it. I didn't want to let them take her away from me, and as soon as they did, the agony and second-guessing started.

I'm stunned, empty, grief-stricken, lonely, guilty and heavily sedated right now. She was my constant companion, my source of independence, my comic relief, the only one who really understood me and loved me. We were always together, 24/7, ever since I first got her back in 2002. I never spent a night away from her except when I was in the hospital. The house seems empty and quiet without the tapping of her toenails, and I couldn't sleep last night because she wasn't pressed up against my back, hogging the entire bed and trying to push me onto the floor.

They say time heals all wounds, but I don't think I'll ever get over this loss. I love you more than anything in the world, Graces, and I'm grateful for every second we spent together. My life will never be the same, and I'm not sure I can go on without you. I'm so sorry, please forgive me, and don't hate me for what I did...I just couldn't stand the thought of you suffering. Love you and miss you so much, my sweet girl...bless you and thank you for everything you did for me.
Attached File  Gracie_Smile.jpg   121.4KB   0 downloads

Attached File  New_Red_Service_Dog_Vest.JPG   130.15KB   0 downloads

Edited by GoGreyhound, 22 August 2009 - 09:50 PM.

Becky B.

Scorch and Cammie

Fargo, ND

Mourning the loss of my beloved Miss Gracie and now Connor, too...

#2 OFFLINE   GoGreyhound

Stray Dog

• IGW Member
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Name:Becky

Posted 22 August 2009 - 11:13 PM

By popular demand, here is the famous birthday cake photo...Gracie was such a character! wub.gif
Attached File  Gracie_Takes_the_Cake.JPG   105.97KB   0 downloads
Becky B.

Scorch and Cammie

Fargo, ND

Mourning the loss of my beloved Miss Gracie and now Connor, too...

#3 OFFLINE   BooBooKitty

Guide Dog

• Premium Member
  • 3,228 posts
  • Name:Fonda

Posted 23 August 2009 - 05:21 AM

QUOTE (GoGreyhound @ Aug 22 2009, 09:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They say time heals all wounds, but I don't think I'll ever get over this loss.

Oh Becky! I cried and cried when I read this!

Time will not heal this - never. I know from experience. However, time will "dilute" how raw things feel now. I don't know if I will EVER heal from loosing Fig. I miss that difficult little girl.

Your Gracie also brought many others joy and happiness - we morn her loss with you.

Thank you for posting that birthday cake photo! I LOVE it.

user_587_e18.gifBoo Boo Kitty   2003 - 2014

#4 OFFLINE   Jane

Guide Dog

• IGW Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,294 posts
  • Interests:I love to knit, sew, crochet and of course spend time with the dogs.
  • Name:Jane

Posted 23 August 2009 - 05:22 AM

Becky, I hope you'll read down the shoutbox. I had seen your sad news and posted here for friends. I'm curious about your ticker, please share!

Know that I've been thinking of you, as I understand the depth of grieving.

**just seeing Fonda's reply, I had sent Becky an email, and expressed as you did Fonda, that the pain doesn't go away. I almost wrote again to temper that feeling, but it is true. Time makes you see it from a different perspective and deal with it unlike you felt you could not in the early days of loss.
Posted Image

#5 IGW Guest: "Guido"

IGW Guest: "Guido"
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2009 - 07:00 AM

Oh Becky, I am so sorry for your loss. Not only was Gracie your friend; she was your helper. I know it was difficult and easier to say, but it sure sounds like you made the best decision for her. It was an unselfish decision and you did what a true friend would do in return. There will be time we will all have to face this difficult decision. You knew Gracie better than anybody else. I know you made the right decision. . As difficult as it must have been.

I know that Gracie will have a special place in Dog heaven. . with the other service and therapy dogs.

Rest peacefully Gracie!

Edited by Guido, 23 August 2009 - 07:38 AM.

#6 OFFLINE   BlueWillow

Big Dog

• Premium Member
  • 387 posts
  • Name:Karen

Posted 23 August 2009 - 08:06 AM

I'm so sorry for your loss spikey_sad.gif

Gracie was an angel here on earth and now she'll be an angel in heaven cupidboy.gif She may be gone, but she will never be forgotten...
Karen & The Berry Bunch!

Willow born 02/04/04 Posted Image Maggie May born 07/18/04 Posted Image Summer born 06/18/05 Posted Image Ginger Sue born 08/18/07 ?? Posted Image

Posted Image
"My goal in life is to be as wonderful as my dogs think I am!"

Please visit Ohio IG Rescue for more information about Brea, our current foster and all the IG's that are looking for their forever homes...

#7 OFFLINE   Linda

IGW Admin

• IGW Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,586 posts
  • Interests:My interests involve Anything and Everything IG. I have been making my own raw diet since 2006 and now am a big fan of dehydrating...now making all my dogs treats as well. I also love sewing and enjoy making reversible harness vests.

• Name:Linda

Posted 23 August 2009 - 08:37 AM

Oh, Becky...I'm so sorry. I went through the same thing after having to help my Star pass, after 15 years of love and loyalty. I would always call my Vet up and ask "how will I know" ...and he would just say "you will know when the time comes" and it did. It was truly the hardest decision I ever made. Her ashes are with me at home along with her collar and picture next to them.

The only thing that helped was transferring all the love I had for Star onto another dog/dogs....some may need time to "get over it"...but for me....time without an IG was my enemy.

My thoughts and prayers are with you....you'll be ok Attached File  igbridge.gif   2.78KB   0 downloadsAttached File  flowerbutterfly.gif   22.42KB   0 downloads
IGCA Rescue Volunteer

Posted Image
"One of the unspoken truths of American life is how deeply people grieve over animals who live and die
with them, how real the emptiness is, how profound is the silence these creatures leave in their wake."
From Dog Years by Mark Doty
Posted Image
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then I want to go where they went.-Josh Billings

My Story, and why I love it here****Facebook****YouTube****ReversibleHarnessVestsByLinda

#8 IGW Guest: "pinkegg"

IGW Guest: "pinkegg"
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2009 - 08:55 AM

Becky glad to see you here. again, so very sorry for your loss. Ms Gracie sure was a character and she continues to be a beautiful soul. run free sweet girl

Edited by pinkegg, 23 August 2009 - 08:56 AM.

#9 OFFLINE   b00ph3tt3

Guide Dog

• Premium Member
  • 2,699 posts
  • Interests:Reading, my husband, our new daughter: Evelyn, playing with Stevie and Bonnie, listening to music, cuddling with my husband, admiring Stevie and Bonnie, cooking and baking, and just hangin' with my family!
  • Name:Elisabeth

Posted 23 August 2009 - 09:34 AM

How heartbreaking... but I am sure you did the best thing for your sweet girl. And you can smile a little as you remember her through pictures... that birthday one is wonderful! I bet Gracie will be waiting happily for you at the Bridge.
Posted Image

#10 OFFLINE   tinyfeetzfl

Guide Dog

• Premium Member
  • 2,068 posts
  • Name:Renee

Posted 23 August 2009 - 10:09 AM

I am so sorry... she sounds like she was one in a million girl. You were both lucky and blessed to have had each other.
Thanks for posting the birthday cake picture, she sure was excited about the cake, wasn't she !!!
Hugs to you during this tough time.. they are never with us long enough.
Posted ImageIG Gili 10.25.06 (aka Tweety-Lou)

Posted Image

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us." ~Robert Louis Stevenson

#11 OFFLINE   Kelly

Guide Dog

• Premium Member
  • 4,353 posts
  • Name:Kelly

Posted 23 August 2009 - 10:26 AM

I am so sorry for your loss. Your post made me cry, but that picture of your Gracie with her birthday cake made me smile so big.
She was beautiful, and I think even though it was hard for you to do, you made the right choice. She is no longer suffering, and is
with you forever, in your heart. Time may not heal your pain, but you will remember the good days, and all the times she made you
laugh and smile. My hear goes out to you.

#12 OFFLINE   LadyCandy

Guide Dog

• IGW Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,155 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Art, Love, All Animals, Tattoos, Music, Nature, Books, Rubik's Cube, Fashion, Japan, Europe, Ipod, Veggie Burgers, Traveling, Making Jewelry, Psp, Nintendo Ds, Cute Things,Music, Ect.
  • Name:Emily

Posted 23 August 2009 - 10:36 AM

I am so sorry for your loss. I have lost two igs too and i know you never forget them, but i am thankful i met them and enjoyed every minute with them. It was the right deccision and never doubt that! As you said she passed away quickly so she was ready to go and enjoy heaven with some great big cupcake.

Posted Image

#13 OFFLINE   About Time IGs

About Time IGs

IGW Admin

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,006 posts
  • Interests:IGs, Horses, Photography, Website & Graphic Design, and having fun!
  • Name:Laura

Posted 23 August 2009 - 11:17 AM

I am so very sorry for your loss. I can tell from your post and photos what a bond you shared with your dear Gracie.

Try to remember the good times you shared, and don't second guess yourself - you did what was the best for her when the time came, despite your desire to keep her with you. I am sure she knows this.

I used to have a life, but my dogs ate it!

Posted Image
Hope's Blog ~ www.HopeAnn.com
Just A Little Faith ~ www.JustALittleFaith.com
About Time Italian Greyhounds ~ www.AboutTimeIGs.com
About Time Web Design ~ www.AboutTimeWebDesign.com

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot, Poet

#14 OFFLINE   Monica

Cat Chaser

• IGW Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 11:58 AM

Wow....I'm sooo sorry for your loss of sweet gracie Cry.gif She was truly a special dog,was well loved to the end.
Proud mama to Luke:)Posted Image

#15 OFFLINE   SoCalIggies4

Guide Dog

• IGW Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,193 posts
  • Name:Angelica

Posted 23 August 2009 - 12:17 PM

Becky, I am soooo sorry for your loss. I can imagine the pain and emptiness that you feel. I lost my family dog Duke after 20 years of loyalty.

Know that Miss Gracie is safe in Heaven, feeling no pain and having no seizures. She is happily running through fields of grass and fluffy white clouds, looking down upon you. She is not wanting you to be sad or have guilt or pain. She will love you FOREVER, as you will her.

Lots of love and reassurance from your friends in Southern California.

Edited by OurAntonioAndAlyssa, 23 August 2009 - 12:18 PM.

Greetings from Antonio, Alyssa, Alex & Adam

Visit Antonio's Page!

#16 OFFLINE   Jackswebmonkey

Veteran Dog

• Premium Member
  • 1,375 posts
  • Name:Madison

Posted 23 August 2009 - 01:03 PM

I know that raw hurt and am sorry that you are feeling it. I also know that one day, the frown turns upside down and when you think of her you'll smile. Our deepest wishes for healing.
Madison and Jack

See IggyJack's Amazing Tricks and Activities on YouTube

Read ideas and excerpts from my forthcoming book The Conceptual Dog

#17 OFFLINE   Lori

Guide Dog

• 3,259 posts
  • Interests:I love being outdoors with my animal gang, I camp,fish, like getting scared by horror movie but a chick flix is nice once in a while.spending time with my boys !!
  • Name:Lori

Posted 23 August 2009 - 05:49 PM

I so hurt for you sosad.gif I love my simon and Mav like you do your Miss Gracie... The thought of losing them makes it hard for me to breath. You must feel empty and alone at your loss. But I believe she is in heaven looking down on you with much love wub.gif
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion". ....

#18 OFFLINE   Louiesmom

Pack Member

• Premium Member
  • 917 posts
  • Interests:Italian greyhounds, hiking, movies or good tv
  • Name:Beth

Posted 24 August 2009 - 09:18 AM

Becky, I am so sorry for your loss. Your post brought back memories of Swift-t. He put the joy in every hour that we spent together as Gracie did for you. Time will not make the pain go away, but it will move more into the background day by day. I did a memory book to help me focus on all of the fun and funny times. I hope that you can find some peace in your memories.

Posted Image

#19 OFFLINE   emmettsmom

Cat Chaser

• IGW Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Interests:I am a veterinary technician and believe in conventional veterinary care. I own and show Vizslas in conformation, obedience, Rally, hunt tests and field trials - but my first love was my IG, Emmett, who has been with me for 7 1/2 years.
  • Name:Kaemmerle

Posted 24 August 2009 - 09:47 AM

Becky, I'm so, so sorry for your huge loss. I've always been a big fan of Miss Gracie, and I know you gave her the best life she could have asked for. She was a very special little girl and she will not be forgotten. Sending lots of good thoughts to you and Scorch.
Kaemmerle, Dan and the Blue Moon Gang
Emmett Alexander - IG
Jackson Bay - Powderpuff CC
Barben's Chianti CD RA SH CGC "Cali" - Vizsla
CH Barben's Miss American Pie "Mimi" - Vizsla
Barben's Rob Roy "Robby" - Vizsla
Barben's Dizzy Miss Lizzy "Lizzy" - Vizsla
Barben's Summer Fling "Summer" - Vizsla

#20 OFFLINE   Vinciesmom

Pack Member

• IGW Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  • Interests:My IG Vince, my Grandiggy Sambuca, my grandson EJ (Eric Jr)........
  • Name:Sandy

Posted 24 August 2009 - 02:51 PM

Becky - I am so very sorry for your loss, when I read your post I could not stop crying, I felt all the feelings you were feeling, Vince too sleeps on my back and pushes me out of the bed, he is with me 24/7 as well, I felt your words about not wanting to go on without her and how she was the only one who understood you. I can only imagine the tremendous loss you are feeling and I am so sorry for you. I know they say time heals all wounds and I can only hope that for you it does, please know that all your friends on IGW feel your loss and are here for you.

Sending sorrow and love to you from your friends in CT.

#21 OFFLINE   Biggrins

Veteran Dog

• IGW Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts
  • Interests:Photography, computers, doggies
  • Name:Wendy

Posted 26 August 2009 - 06:34 PM

I am so sorry for your loss!! sad.gif

#22 OFFLINE   mariellab81

Tail Wagger

• IGW Member
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Name:Mariella

Posted 26 August 2009 - 07:09 PM

Im terribly sorry for your loss.. I couldn't help crying while reading your post. I know exactly how you feel, but do know that better days will come. It is always hard to let a loyal friend go, but it sounds like you made the right decision keeping her in mind at all times. She's in doggy heaven now, happy and free from all pain. My heart and prayers are with you..

#23 OFFLINE   Dunn13

Guide Dog

• Premium Member
  • 2,627 posts
  • Name:Katie

Posted 11 September 2009 - 09:22 AM

I am so sorry for your loss. I know Gracie will be forever in your heart.
Katie, Mobley and Kasia
Salt Lake City, UT

Posted Image Posted ImageA dog is the only thing that loves you more than he loves himself

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users