Welcome to our forums!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. Registration is free, and you'll be able to have full access to our forum, chat, ads, galleries, classifieds, blogs, and all other features of our community.

Photo
- - - - -

Pop Dog

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Gwen

Gwen

Guide Dog

• Premium Member
  • 2,314 posts
  • Interests:Art, reading, animals. Especially my dear doggies.
  • Name:Gwen

Posted 19 August 2009 - 12:09 PM

Back when I started painting portraits (this was back in the late seventies) I was very much a pop artist, doing portraits in very bright colors, and using close, quirky cropping. When I started to do dog portraits as a business a few years ago, I consciously made the decision to try to do something sort of mid way between a pop and more traditional style, since I love elements of both, and it seemed like a niche I might have to myself. But lately I have been feeling like I am not being true to myself. I am really a pop artist at heart, pure and simple. I don't really have a subtle bone in my body, and I love the bold and the bright. I just did this painting of Georgie. What do you guys think? Is this the sort of thing you might want for your own living room? Disregard the color if it is not to your taste- I could have used about any bright color here.
By the way, this painting is 18" x 24", so it is very big and in your face!

You can see it on my blog:
http://iconicdog.com/Blog/
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image Boo Boo, Pixel and Georgie

#2 OFFLINE   aandboriginals

aandboriginals

Cat Chaser

• IGW Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • Name:Angela

Posted 19 August 2009 - 12:13 PM

QUOTE (Gwen @ Aug 19 2009, 12:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Back when I started painting portraits (this was back in the late seventies) I was very much a pop artist, doing portraits in very bright colors, and using close, quirky cropping. When I started to do dog portraits as a business a few years ago, I consciously made the decision to try to do something sort of mid way between a pop and more traditional style, since I love elements of both, and it seemed like a niche I might have to myself. But lately I have been feeling like I am not being true to myself. I am really a pop artist at heart, pure and simple. I don't really have a subtle bone in my body, and I love the bold and the bright. I just did this painting of Georgie. What do you guys think? Is this the sort of thing you might want for your own living room? Disregard the color if it is not to your taste- I could have used about any bright color here.
By the way, this painting is 18" x 24", so it is very big and in your face!

You can see it on my blog:
http://iconicdog.com/Blog/

I LOVE IT.... especially the Green in the background!!!!

I just may have to order more, once Bruce gets the 2 portraits that are here in his Birthday Box!!!

LOL

Beautiful Gwen!!
Posted Image

#3 OFFLINE   remarvin

remarvin

Guide Dog

• Premium Member
  • 2,501 posts
  • Name:Kate

Posted 19 August 2009 - 01:04 PM

I also love it!! I am a big pop art fan though, so it is no surprise!! laugh.gif
Kate and Dave and two little rascals...

Jack Posted Image and Mouse Posted Image

#4 OFFLINE   Jackswebmonkey

Jackswebmonkey

Veteran Dog

• Premium Member
  • 1,375 posts
  • Name:Madison

Posted 19 August 2009 - 01:24 PM

Georgie looks good on green and I love it! thumbsyes.gif
Madison and Jack

See IggyJack's Amazing Tricks and Activities on YouTube

Read ideas and excerpts from my forthcoming book The Conceptual Dog
http://conceptualdog.blogspot.com

#5 OFFLINE   Beachiggys

Beachiggys

Pack Member

• IGW Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • Name:regina

Posted 19 August 2009 - 02:41 PM

I love the pop influence Gwen, I believe it is your true style, you can just feel it coming through, you MUST be true to yourself first, if others love your work as much as you do then that is the icing. Keep up the FANTASTIC work, I have said it before and I will say it again, your one of the most talented artists. I consider myself extremely lucky to have some of your work!

#6 OFFLINE   b00ph3tt3

b00ph3tt3

Guide Dog

• Premium Member
  • 2,699 posts
  • Interests:Reading, my husband, our new daughter: Evelyn, playing with Stevie and Bonnie, listening to music, cuddling with my husband, admiring Stevie and Bonnie, cooking and baking, and just hangin' with my family!
  • Name:Elisabeth

Posted 19 August 2009 - 03:26 PM

I love it! normally I am not a huge pop fan, but you do a really good job. The green looks great in this picture. I wish I could afford a portrait like this!
Posted Image

#7 IGW Guest: "cbl"

IGW Guest: "cbl"
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2009 - 05:16 PM

Oh my goodness - if only I could afford portraits of all 3 of mine!

#8 OFFLINE   BooBooKitty

BooBooKitty

Guide Dog

• Premium Member
  • 3,228 posts
  • Name:Fonda

Posted 19 August 2009 - 05:22 PM

You keep painting this way Gwen!! It is FAB! Simply FAB!

user_587_e18.gifBoo Boo Kitty   2003 - 2014

#9 IGW Guest: "pinkegg"

IGW Guest: "pinkegg"
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2009 - 06:02 PM

i LOVE this work, but i'm sure you're not surprised at that! i kind of expected to see a flatter more warhol-esque screen printed type design. what you have here is still quite dimensional with a pop flair. and aside from the quirky composition and flat background it's pretty similar to what you've been doing. so why couldn't you offer both approaches? i do know what you're getting at though. so i think you should keep doing it because it has more of you in it and frankly, i prefer it. but, i have some history with the stuff and i realize it might be off-putting to someone who prefers a more traditional message -- so maybe take my thoughts with a grain of salt

#10 OFFLINE   Gwen

Gwen

Guide Dog

• Premium Member
  • 2,314 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 06:29 PM

QUOTE (pinkegg @ Aug 19 2009, 06:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i LOVE this work, but i'm sure you're not surprised at that! i kind of expected to see a flatter more warhol-esque screen printed type design. what you have here is still quite dimensional with a pop flair. and aside from the quirky composition and flat background it's pretty similar to what you've been doing. so why couldn't you offer both approaches? i do know what you're getting at though. so i think you should keep doing it because it has more of you in it and frankly, i prefer it. but, i have some history with the stuff and i realize it might be off-putting to someone who prefers a more traditional message -- so maybe take my thoughts with a grain of salt

I appreciate the imput Nancy (and everyone). I do think I will offer both approaches, at least for the mean time, if for no other reason than that I can't afford to totally revamp my website right now, and that's what it would take. But I am going to work on turning out a group of these whenever time allows, and I will push them. I think ultimately it will be better for me business wise if I do one or the other, as I believe people are more likely to take me seriously if I am stylistically consistant.

#11 OFFLINE   Jane

Jane

Guide Dog

• IGW Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,294 posts
  • Interests:I love to knit, sew, crochet and of course spend time with the dogs.
  • Name:Jane

Posted 19 August 2009 - 06:51 PM

I had the same take as Nancy, when I clicked your link, I was expecting something wildly artsy. Instead it was a whimsical version of what you already do. (I have no critic background, just a novice opinion laugh.gif )
Posted Image

#12 OFFLINE   Bellabusa

Bellabusa

Tail Wagger

• IGW Member
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Name:Julie

Posted 20 August 2009 - 04:50 AM

All your paintings are beautiful. My favorite so far is the one you did of Pneumo. But they are all awesome.
Julie, Bella, Honey, and Latte (aka Sybil!)

#13 OFFLINE   cyc1948

cyc1948

Veteran Dog

• Validating Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts
  • Name:Yvonne

Posted 20 August 2009 - 05:24 AM

Don't EVER, EVER question yourself!
This wonderful GOD given talent to express yourself is a gift to anyone who is privileged to gaze upon you work.
You have captured the reason why we are all foolishly in love with these babies.
Yvonne, Jazzie & Georgie's Mom
Posted Image

#14 IGW Guest: "Guido"

IGW Guest: "Guido"
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2009 - 06:14 AM

QUOTE (Jane @ Aug 19 2009, 06:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
(I have no critic background, just a novice opinion laugh.gif )

You can say that again!!! laugh.gif pillowfight.gif

Gwen; I don't think you could make a bad painting even if you tried spikey_tongue2.gif
To be honest . . . at first glance of the thread name. . .I thought it said "Poop Dog" spikey_wacko.gif

Edited by Guido, 20 August 2009 - 06:15 AM.

#15 OFFLINE   BooBooKitty

BooBooKitty

Guide Dog

• Premium Member
  • 3,228 posts
  • Name:Fonda

Posted 20 August 2009 - 07:40 AM

QUOTE (Guido @ Aug 20 2009, 06:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
To be honest . . . at first glance of the thread name. . .I thought it said "Poop Dog" spikey_wacko.gif

ahem.

Wouldn't that be a Maplethorpe painting?

[ducking]

user_587_e18.gifBoo Boo Kitty   2003 - 2014

#16 OFFLINE   Gwen

Gwen

Guide Dog

• Premium Member
  • 2,314 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 08:35 AM

[/quote]

No, that would be Pixel!

#17 OFFLINE   Kelly

Kelly

Guide Dog

• Premium Member
  • 4,353 posts
  • Name:Kelly

Posted 20 August 2009 - 08:58 AM

I love this too, and wish I was able to get one done for all 3 of mine also!!

#18 OFFLINE   Linda

Linda

IGW Admin

• IGW Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,586 posts
  • Interests:My interests involve Anything and Everything IG. I have been making my own raw diet since 2006 and now am a big fan of dehydrating...now making all my dogs treats as well. I also love sewing and enjoy making reversible harness vests.

https://www.facebook.com/ReversibleHarnessVestsByLinda

http://www.igwhispers.com/forum/index.php?showforum=53
  • Name:Linda

Posted 21 August 2009 - 06:14 PM

I love all your portraits, Gwen, they are all amazing...but the ones that I really love are the ones with the whimsical back grounds...I love the colors, ect. I love the Pug portrait with the cupcakes....I'm very visual. Some people don't like that and just want a straight forward portrait...and I can appreciate that too.
Linda
IGCA Rescue Volunteer

Star
11/23/90-7/13/05

Posted Image
"One of the unspoken truths of American life is how deeply people grieve over animals who live and die
with them, how real the emptiness is, how profound is the silence these creatures leave in their wake."
From Dog Years by Mark Doty
Posted Image
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then I want to go where they went.-Josh Billings

My Story, and why I love it here****Facebook****YouTube****ReversibleHarnessVestsByLinda

#19 OFFLINE   MaureenandtheCiaohoundz

MaureenandtheCiaohoundz

Pack Member

• IGW Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • Name:Maureen

Posted 24 August 2009 - 03:35 PM

Gwen, I love the portrait. But, honestly I don't know why you are saying this is more "pop" art. I did popart in the late sixties, and I guess maybe I have a different image of it. I love the bright background, if that is what you are referring to :=) Your pieces are all just amazing!
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Maureen
owned and trained by the Ciaohoundz: Trevor, Grace, Mozart and Riley
Harmony and Vegas are now with my beloved Puccini at the Rainbow Bridge

#20 OFFLINE   afluke

afluke

Big Dog

• IGW Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • Name:dawn

Posted 24 August 2009 - 03:54 PM

It isn't what I would have thought of as pop art, but what do I know? I really like the perspective (is that the right word?) of this piece. It's interesting but not over the top IMO.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users