Welcome to our forums!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. Registration is free, and you'll be able to have full access to our forum, chat, ads, galleries, classifieds, blogs, and all other features of our community.

Photo
- - - - -

Sweet Molly, this should NOT have happened

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   MaureenandtheCiaohoundz

MaureenandtheCiaohoundz

Pack Member

• IGW Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • Name:Maureen

Posted 18 July 2009 - 06:49 PM

I adopted a blue ig girl, Meggie, to a super wonderful guy, Scott about three years ago. He had been on the road for a year and wanted a companion for his IG Molly. Well, Meggie more than fit the bill! He is a super wonderful IG dad and brought his entire motor home to me!!

I met Molly, a black and white precious IG that Scott had. She and Meggie (mostly blue and a little white IG adopted through me) were like peanut butter and jelly. Both so cute and adorable. Scott was the best father.

Scott travels but keeps an almost daily blog.

I just went on his blog after being off for two weeks and OMG!! Precious Molly was attacked by a pitt bull. Well actually the three of them were, Scott, Molly and Meggie. Meggie turned to the sound of the pitts running, Scott turned and pulled up on both leashes. Meg was on his shoulder, then back on the road far behind. The first pitt bull grabbed Molly and sunk teeth deep into her neck. She was gurling blood the whole time Scott raced to get her ER vet care. He had to put her down. Meg and he were left without attack.

He is devastated. I know it didn't happen to me, but I can't stop crying. Meg is trying to help her human dad live through this by being so, so sweet and playful. Post traumatic stress is an everyday occurance for him. I am crying so hard for them, I am not sure I am even coherent.

Pray for this sweet human person. He is the best. Molly was so precious. She did not deserve to die this way. This was a horrid act of people being irresponsible about their dogs (that were being trained for dog fights).

I hope this post made sense. I cannot stop crying. This was just a horrid act of random violence against people/dogs who are so sweet and loving. I just don't understand.

--------------------
Maureen Sullivan-Mahoney
http://www.igrescueohio.com

Mozart, Riley, Trevor, Grace, Harmony and Vegas (the Ciaohoundz)
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Maureen
owned and trained by the Ciaohoundz: Trevor, Grace, Mozart and Riley
Harmony and Vegas are now with my beloved Puccini at the Rainbow Bridge

#2 OFFLINE   Jane

Jane

Guide Dog

• IGW Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,294 posts
  • Interests:I love to knit, sew, crochet and of course spend time with the dogs.
  • Name:Jane

Posted 18 July 2009 - 06:58 PM

Sickening. What a terible thing to have to go through, then no doubt relive it daily. The most disturbing thing to me is what kind of human enjoys watching dogs fight? (that is secondary to the loss of this precious dog, but in the scheme of things the other really bothers me)
Posted Image

#3 OFFLINE   Gwen

Gwen

Guide Dog

• Premium Member
  • 2,314 posts
  • Interests:Art, reading, animals. Especially my dear doggies.
  • Name:Gwen

Posted 18 July 2009 - 07:07 PM

Oh, what a horrible, horrible thing. There are no words to express how awful that is....
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image Boo Boo, Pixel and Georgie

#4 OFFLINE   Lori

Lori

Guide Dog

• 3,259 posts
  • Interests:I love being outdoors with my animal gang, I camp,fish, like getting scared by horror movie but a chick flix is nice once in a while.spending time with my boys !!
  • Name:Lori

Posted 18 July 2009 - 07:07 PM

I am so sorry to hear this. Your friend Scott must be devastated and in shock......I think that if that happen to me I would be so enraged I think i would of done harm :flaming:
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion". ....

#5 OFFLINE   afluke

afluke

Big Dog

• IGW Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • Name:dawn

Posted 18 July 2009 - 07:52 PM

I truly wish the sick people who train their dogs to fight could get a taste of their own medicine.
Posted Image

#6 OFFLINE   codypup

codypup

Pack Member

• IGW Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • Name:Phyllis

Posted 18 July 2009 - 09:10 PM

How awful. Deepest sympathy.
Sandy and Phyllis
proud parents of Cody
Irvine, CA

#7 OFFLINE   b00ph3tt3

b00ph3tt3

Guide Dog

• Premium Member
  • 2,699 posts
  • Interests:Reading, my husband, our new daughter: Evelyn, playing with Stevie and Bonnie, listening to music, cuddling with my husband, admiring Stevie and Bonnie, cooking and baking, and just hangin' with my family!
  • Name:Elisabeth

Posted 18 July 2009 - 10:06 PM

Poor Molly, Scott, and Meggie. It just makes me sick to my stomach to imagine that happening to any sweet iggy. I don't know what I would do in that situation... but I think kicking the pit bull that goes after my dog comes to mind. :flaming:
Posted Image

#8 OFFLINE   igpaws2luv

igpaws2luv

Stray Dog

• IGW Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Italian Greyhounds, Animal Rescue, Gardening, Nascar, Counted Cross Stitch, Crochet
  • Name:Christie

Posted 19 July 2009 - 09:14 AM

I am so sorry that this happened! It is a horrible tradgity and Scott & Meggie must be overwhelmingly devastated. We often see pits & others running off leash in our area and wonder what their owners are thinking. Sweet little IGs are no match for any powerful breed. I hope these pit owners will be held responsible for this. I know if possible I would have them prosecuted to the full extent of the law and then some. (I would want them to suffer.) Dog fighting is senseless and cruel for all dogs involved - this saddens me tremendously that an IG lost its life to these dogs.

My condolences and prayers go out to Scott and Meggie. Sweet dreams to Molly - may she run and play at Rainbow Bridge until she can be reunited with her loved ones.
~Christie

"Paws leave prints on your heart."

#9 OFFLINE   Jackswebmonkey

Jackswebmonkey

Veteran Dog

• Premium Member
  • 1,375 posts
  • Name:Madison

Posted 19 July 2009 - 12:29 PM

I am so, so sorry for your friend's grief and loss and for your upset. This almost happened to Jack once. I managed to grab the dog's collar just at the last minute and will never forget the sight of those jaws opening and closing just inches away from his neck.

I will be thinking of you for days to come and send you lots of love. beatingheart.gif
Madison and Jack

See IggyJack's Amazing Tricks and Activities on YouTube

Read ideas and excerpts from my forthcoming book The Conceptual Dog
http://conceptualdog.blogspot.com

#10 OFFLINE   Linda

Linda

IGW Admin

• IGW Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,586 posts
  • Interests:My interests involve Anything and Everything IG. I have been making my own raw diet since 2006 and now am a big fan of dehydrating...now making all my dogs treats as well. I also love sewing and enjoy making reversible harness vests.

https://www.facebook.com/ReversibleHarnessVestsByLinda

http://www.igwhispers.com/forum/index.php?showforum=53
  • Name:Linda

Posted 19 July 2009 - 09:46 PM

I'm so sorry this happened...what an awful thing to have witnessed.....
Linda
IGCA Rescue Volunteer

Star
11/23/90-7/13/05

Posted Image
"One of the unspoken truths of American life is how deeply people grieve over animals who live and die
with them, how real the emptiness is, how profound is the silence these creatures leave in their wake."
From Dog Years by Mark Doty
Posted Image
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then I want to go where they went.-Josh Billings

My Story, and why I love it here****Facebook****YouTube****ReversibleHarnessVestsByLinda

#11 OFFLINE   letumrun

letumrun

Cat Chaser

• IGW Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Name:Meghan

Posted 20 July 2009 - 05:57 AM

I am sick over reading this. What a tragic loss.

Meg
Leader of the Pack
and then there were three - Mags Zoe and Soph

Posted Image

#12 OFFLINE   lilven

lilven

Big Dog

• IGW Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Name:Jess

Posted 20 July 2009 - 08:38 AM

Your friend is in my thoughts. I hope Meggie will be able to help her dad get through this difficult and painful time.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#13 OFFLINE   Kelly

Kelly

Guide Dog

• Premium Member
  • 4,353 posts
  • Name:Kelly

Posted 20 July 2009 - 01:49 PM

That is just so terrible.
My heart goes out to him.
I'm with Lori, I would def be dangerous if this had happened to me.

#14 OFFLINE   MaureenandtheCiaohoundz

MaureenandtheCiaohoundz

Pack Member

• IGW Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • Name:Maureen

Posted 20 July 2009 - 05:28 PM

Scott said he screamed and kicked the pitt bull, anything he could think of. The pitts had been in a chain linked fence around their trailer home (Scott is a permanent RV-er), but the gate must not have been latched. The owner of the dogs ran out, including another guy and the two of them had difficulty getting the dog to release Molly.

Scott said he must have acted like a madman because the guys didn't say much to him. He scooped up Meggie and laid Molly on the front seat. He knew it was bad, she could barely breathe.

The guys with the pitt bulls split. They had been staying with the permanent resident. People had started complaining about the dogs because they would rush the fence, growling, snarling, acting very vicious if someone walked by on the opposite side of the street.

He is having a hard time with not only grief but the anger over this horrific and senseless attack (I know anger is a part of grief, but I think he has a double dose with all this). The lady who lives there permanently said they would pay for the vet bills and everything. Scott said he just wanted to scream at her, that paying the bills wasn't going to bring Molly back.

Thanks for all the kind words. I will pass them on to Scott. I am still crying over this. And, every time I do, I just think of how much worse Scott feels. The two of them have been through a lot: first, Molly was very sensitive to practically every dog food (made her sick, vomiting, etc) and it took some dedication and research to figure out what she could eat. She did break her leg. Molly was present when his home in Las Vegas was robbed. The doors were all left open, every room had been ransacked, every TV, computer, anything of value was taken, except for Molly. When Scott came home she was in the living room, shivering. It was then, that Scott bought his RV and he and Molly hit the road. About a year later, he contacted me, looking for a companion for Molly. He drove his RV to me (over three hundred miles) so I could do the home visit! Molly was darling.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Maureen
owned and trained by the Ciaohoundz: Trevor, Grace, Mozart and Riley
Harmony and Vegas are now with my beloved Puccini at the Rainbow Bridge

#15 IGW Guest: "AlohaIGs"

IGW Guest: "AlohaIGs"
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2009 - 01:19 PM

OMG how absolutely terrible sad.gif Run free, sweet Molly.

#16 IGW Guest: "Guido"

IGW Guest: "Guido"
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2009 - 12:45 PM

spikey_sad.gif Very sad. It should not have happened

#17 OFFLINE   Trena

Trena

Pack Member

• Premium Member
  • 561 posts
  • Name:Trena

Posted 25 July 2009 - 12:50 PM

This is such a sad story to read. The grief must be unimaginable.
Trena
Mom to Sadie, Summer & Enzo
Forever in our hearts, Shelby (1/30/08 - 4/24/09)
Marietta, GA
IG Rescue Volunteer

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." ~Josh Billings

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users