Welcome to our forums!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. Registration is free, and you'll be able to have full access to our forum, chat, ads, galleries, classifieds, blogs, and all other features of our community.

Photo
- - - - -

Fly free, sweet AB

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Linda

Linda

IGW Admin

• IGW Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,586 posts
  • Interests:My interests involve Anything and Everything IG. I have been making my own raw diet since 2006 and now am a big fan of dehydrating...now making all my dogs treats as well. I also love sewing and enjoy making reversible harness vests.

https://www.facebook.com/ReversibleHarnessVestsByLinda

http://www.igwhispers.com/forum/index.php?showforum=53
  • Name:Linda

Posted 10 November 2008 - 07:53 PM

When Nina, now 25, was in 6th grade, she desperately wanted a Sun Conure. One of her classmate's Mother bred them. Because Nina was a shy little girl, we decided a bird would be a great idea too. So, we bought her 3 month old AB. AB was the name he had....and it just stuck.

AB and Nina were always together. She would take him to bed with her and he would never poop outside the cage. They kissed and cuddled all the time..constant friends.

As the years passed, and it became time for Nina to go to college, AB went to live with my Mother, who has AB's clutchmate "AC" and her gorgeous African Grey, TRex. AB lived the life of a spoiled bird, with a view of the ocean outside of his floor to ceiling window.

Last week, AB laid an egg. I guess he was a she? It was a huge egg too. If you don't know, birds do not need to mate to lay an egg. Over the weekend, AB was not feeling well and not herself. Saturday night, she had a prolapse. Early this morning, my Mother took AB to the Vet, who said that she was "egg bound" with another huge edd, and if surgery was not attempted, she would not survive. With surgery, AB's chances were only 50/50 at best.

I went over to the Vet to see her and speak to the Vet. It was on that ride there that I told Nina of her bird's problem. Luckily, Nina was home last week and got to spend some quality time with her bird. I asked Nina what she wanted me to do, and as she cried into the phone, she said we had to try everything.

I told the Vet to go ahead with the surgery. About an hour later, I got the call that AB had passed away during surgery. The egg inside had attached itself to her uterus. Birds do not do well under anesthesia under the best circumstances.

I picked AB up and took her home with me. I laminated a picture of Nina that I had holding AB and placed it inside the pink towel that held her beloved bird. I then put AB into a water tight container and buried him in my garden with another bird lost years earlier.

My Mother said that AB has flown to heaven to be with my Dad. :)
Attached File  IMG_0298.jpg   143.54KB   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_0302.jpg   150.74KB   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_1243.jpg   116.84KB   0 downloads
Linda
IGCA Rescue Volunteer

Star
11/23/90-7/13/05

Posted Image
"One of the unspoken truths of American life is how deeply people grieve over animals who live and die
with them, how real the emptiness is, how profound is the silence these creatures leave in their wake."
From Dog Years by Mark Doty
Posted Image
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then I want to go where they went.-Josh Billings

My Story, and why I love it here****Facebook****YouTube****ReversibleHarnessVestsByLinda

#2 OFFLINE   Jane

Jane

Guide Dog

• IGW Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,294 posts
  • Interests:I love to knit, sew, crochet and of course spend time with the dogs.
  • Name:Jane

Posted 11 November 2008 - 04:57 AM

Rest in peace AB and condolences to you, Nina and your Mom.
Posted Image

#3 OFFLINE   remarvin

remarvin

Guide Dog

• Premium Member
  • 2,501 posts
  • Name:Kate

Posted 11 November 2008 - 06:12 AM

AB was a beautiful bird, and it sounds like she had a beautiful life. My condolences to you and Nina, I'm sure you will miss AB very much.
Kate and Dave and two little rascals...

Jack Posted Image and Mouse Posted Image

#4 OFFLINE   Biggrins

Biggrins

Veteran Dog

• IGW Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts
  • Interests:Photography, computers, doggies
  • Name:Wendy

Posted 11 November 2008 - 08:25 AM

Aww, I am so sorry hear about your feather friend. She sounds like she was a great friend and what a wonderful thing she did for your daughter too. :rolleyes:
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#5 OFFLINE   Lori

Lori

Guide Dog

• 3,259 posts
  • Interests:I love being outdoors with my animal gang, I camp,fish, like getting scared by horror movie but a chick flix is nice once in a while.spending time with my boys !!
  • Name:Lori

Posted 11 November 2008 - 08:44 AM

So very sorry for your loss :rolleyes: Hugs to your family.
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion". ....

#6 IGW Guest: "RaffAndZeke"

IGW Guest: "RaffAndZeke"
  • Guests

Posted 11 November 2008 - 12:12 PM

So sorry for your loss :rolleyes: She sure was a pretty bird and definitely very loved!

I would actually love to get a bird someday. For some reason, birds are a HUGE thing out here in Hawaii. Mainly lovebirds, but I've seen lots of conures, eclectus, macaws, cockatoos, and all those fun birds!

#7 OFFLINE   shadowsiren

shadowsiren

Big Dog

• IGW Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • Name:Jessica

Posted 11 November 2008 - 02:12 PM

What a beautiful bird, so sorry for your & Nina's loss. :fish:

Puppies are nature's remedy for feeling unloved, plus numerous other ailments of life. -Richard Allan Palm

A person who has never owned a dog has missed a wonderful part of life. -Bob Barker

The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too. -Samuel Butler (Higgledy-Piggledy)

#8 OFFLINE   Dunn13

Dunn13

Guide Dog

• Premium Member
  • 2,627 posts
  • Name:Katie

Posted 11 November 2008 - 07:48 PM

I am so sorry for your loss Linda. AB was beautiful....my prayers are with you!
Katie, Mobley and Kasia
Salt Lake City, UT

Posted Image Posted ImageA dog is the only thing that loves you more than he loves himself

#9 OFFLINE   Linda

Linda

IGW Admin

• IGW Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,586 posts
  • Interests:My interests involve Anything and Everything IG. I have been making my own raw diet since 2006 and now am a big fan of dehydrating...now making all my dogs treats as well. I also love sewing and enjoy making reversible harness vests.

Posted 11 November 2008 - 10:12 PM

I would actually love to get a bird someday. For some reason, birds are a HUGE thing out here in Hawaii. Mainly lovebirds, but I've seen lots of conures, eclectus, macaws, cockatoos, and all those fun birds!

My family has always had birds. To me...they are more work than all 5 of my dogs. With the larger birds..conures and the larger species....they are very loud (neighbors don't like that) and they make a huge mess that takes constant cleaning. You really have to handle them alot or they will bite your hand...and when they do..they draw blood...even the little ones. They need their nails trimmed often (my job).

Birds get sick and have emergencies too. AB's surgery, fluids, calcium injection, treatment in an incubator, blood work and her failed surgery cost almost $700.

Right now, I have a Pacific Parotlett (mini parrot, and Jenna's bird from elementary school) that is smaller than a budgie. His mate, died a few years ago of a tumor. These birds can live for 24 years.
Linda
IGCA Rescue Volunteer

Star
11/23/90-7/13/05

Posted Image
"One of the unspoken truths of American life is how deeply people grieve over animals who live and die
with them, how real the emptiness is, how profound is the silence these creatures leave in their wake."
Posted Image
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then I want to go where they went.-Josh Billings

My Story, and why I love it here****Facebook****YouTube****ReversibleHarnessVestsByLinda

#10 IGW Guest: "RaffAndZeke"

IGW Guest: "RaffAndZeke"
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2008 - 01:10 PM

My family has always had birds. To me...they are more work than all 5 of my dogs. With the larger birds..conures and the larger species....they are very loud (neighbors don't like that) and they make a huge mess that takes constant cleaning. You really have to handle them alot or they will bite your hand...and when they do..they draw blood...even the little ones. They need their nails trimmed often (my job).

Birds get sick and have emergencies too. AB's surgery, fluids, calcium injection, treatment in an incubator, blood work and her failed surgery cost almost $700.

Right now, I have a Pacific Parotlett (mini parrot, and Jenna's bird from elementary school) that is smaller than a budgie. His mate, died a few years ago of a tumor. These birds can live for 24 years.

Yeah if I ever did get a bird, it wouldn't be anytime in the near future. But definitely something I would consider sometime down the road. It's amazing how long they can live!

#11 OFFLINE   SoCalIggies4

SoCalIggies4

Guide Dog

• IGW Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,193 posts
  • Name:Angelica

Posted 12 November 2008 - 07:54 PM

Oh Linda, I am so sorry to hear this! When I was in 7, I got a parakeet. He lived 4 years. I was absolutely crushed when he passed, so I can imagine how Nina must be feeling.

My thoughts are with you and your family. May AB fly free forever!

xo
Greetings from Antonio, Alyssa, Alex & Adam

Visit Antonio's Page!

#12 OFFLINE   Linda

Linda

IGW Admin

• IGW Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,586 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 07:59 PM

Thanks everyone.... :LOL:
Linda
IGCA Rescue Volunteer

Star
11/23/90-7/13/05

Posted Image
Posted Image

#13 OFFLINE   RudysMom

RudysMom

Big Dog

• IGW Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts
  • Interests:Rudy :), Gator Football!!, Saltwater aquariums, snorkeling, reading, watching TV (Grey's Anatomy is my fav!), geckos, animal rescue, animals in general... my eBay side business.... learning how to cook & clean house LOL
  • Name:Shelby

Posted 16 November 2008 - 11:16 AM

Linda, I'm so sorry for you and your family. Sun Conures are wonderful birds. They have such great personalities.
Shelby & Rudy the Brown Dog
Boca Raton, FL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users