Welcome to our forums!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. Registration is free, and you'll be able to have full access to our forum, chat, ads, galleries, classifieds, blogs, and all other features of our community.

Photo

IG on the loose in my area/USE OF A HUMANE TRAP

• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   tinyfeetzfl

tinyfeetzfl

Guide Dog

• Premium Member
  • 2,068 posts
  • Name:Renee

Posted 25 August 2008 - 03:11 PM

I have been on pins and needles all day at work wondering if the trap caught her. When I read that
Layla is all over Linda, it brought tears to my eyes! What an ordeal for this girl.. I cant wait for pictures.
Lucky Layla ! :jump:
Renee
Renee
Posted ImageIG Gili 10.25.06 (aka Tweety-Lou)

Posted Image

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us." ~Robert Louis Stevenson

#52 OFFLINE   TobySophie

TobySophie

Cat Chaser

• IGW Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 03:14 PM

Wow, I just caught this story and wow. I can not believe you were able to catch her Linda, good for you. You are such an angel. I will be checking for updates and photos. I cant wait to hear all about her!

Thank you so much for saving her!!!!

#53 OFFLINE   Kelly

Kelly

Guide Dog

• Premium Member
  • 4,353 posts
  • Name:Kelly

Posted 25 August 2008 - 03:25 PM

That is oo great that she is now in caring hands.
And I just know that she would love to stay in Lindas pack!!

#54 OFFLINE   SoCalIggies4

SoCalIggies4

Guide Dog

• IGW Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,193 posts
  • Name:Angelica

Posted 25 August 2008 - 04:04 PM

LINDA GETS THE GOLD MEDAL FOR THE DAY (for the month!!! or the year!!!!)

Linda is truly a special hero and an inspiration for us all!!!!
Greetings from Antonio, Alyssa, Alex & Adam

Visit Antonio's Page!

#55 OFFLINE   Jane

Jane

Guide Dog

• IGW Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,294 posts
  • Interests:I love to knit, sew, crochet and of course spend time with the dogs.
  • Name:Jane

Posted 25 August 2008 - 06:01 PM

The little red head must have Linda all tied up tonight! I keep checking in to see photos. I imagine getting six of them settled after a newcomer, may be a challenge. Hope that Layla is resting and soaking up love.
Posted Image

#56 OFFLINE   Linda

Linda

IGW Admin

• IGW Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,586 posts
  • Interests:My interests involve Anything and Everything IG. I have been making my own raw diet since 2006 and now am a big fan of dehydrating...now making all my dogs treats as well. I also love sewing and enjoy making reversible harness vests.

https://www.facebook.com/ReversibleHarnessVestsByLinda

http://www.igwhispers.com/forum/index.php?showforum=53
  • Name:Linda

Posted 25 August 2008 - 06:47 PM

Hi Everyone...what a day. Yes....This little IG that has been living on between 2-300 acres of cleared land, was in my trap after only one night. I actually got the call from a local IG Breeder who was out in the development to pick the trap she had set last night too, but in an area I had told her was not where I had observed the dog frequenting over the past 2 days of observation. On her way out, she drove past my trap and called me right away. I was actually on my way out the door to check on it myself. I was thrilled and couldn't believe it was that easy....this little dog wanted to be saved.

You know how I have been to several Animal Communication Seminars (don't laugh now)..well anyway, after setting the trap last night, I sat in my car and pictured her walking around the trap but not going in...I was telling her that it was ok, safe, and that her life would be better if she went in...this is what I thought about...

She wasn't freaking out, but seemed to enjoy finally having human contact. I took her straight to the Vet, had her shots done, fecal and HW test, bath and ears cleaned (full of sand). My Vet said that her immune system must have gotten strong in her defense. All tests were negative. She is 9.5 lbs

I took her to work with me, leaving my dogs at home of course. She became so attached to me in only one day. I think she was so deprived of human contact that she would cling to the one who would be with her the most. She slept on the dog bed in my office and loved going out for walks. She knows how to sit. I did notice that when you go to pet her from a standing position, she would crouch down as if being hit...so I approached her slowly, telling her what a good girl she was.

Another thing I noticed....when she sleeps, she sleeps with her head up alot with her eyes closed. This is from probably always having to be on the alert and ready to run

Joe, My husband named her Layla, after his favorite band, Fleetwood Mac. His first dog was named Fleetwood, same red color as this little girl, but half Greyhound and half Irish Setter....great dog.

My plan...to take Layla home with me and keep her if she fit in with my girls...I'm such a sucker and this is why I could never foster. I pulled up in the driveway and all my girls started to bark. Layla's body language changed..not afraid, but more defensive. I went into the house and my overly friendly girls wanted to greet and make nice. Layla, on the other hand started to growl, bare teeth and try to bit them (I was holding her while I stood). I took Layla outside and knew I couldn't keep her as much as I wanted to try. This little girl, after 4 months of living with raccoons, foxes, etc., must have had to defend herself many times. She felt threatened and was defending herself.

I called someone about 45 minutes from me who does IG and Greyhound Rescue, someone who knew the situation and the story behind Layla and would be there if I needed her....I did. I just got home after making the transfer into Rescue. They will work with her, as well as get her spayed and have a much needed dental (she is between 2-3 years old but needs her upper incisors removed from gum recession, infection and loose teeth from a poor diet). They will keep me updated on her progress and will most likely place her in a home as an only IG, so she can get one on one attention..something this little girl deserves.

So are you ready for PICTURES!!!!

At the Vet
IMG_1152.jpg

Joe and Layla
IMG_1153.jpg

Joe giving tummy rubs
IMG_1157.jpg

Layla didn't forget what a bed is for..what a pretty girl
IMG_1155.jpg

What a gorgeous face
IMG_1156.jpg

This is Vanessa...She is the one who saw this IG off of a busy road and followed her into the development...a real animal lover herself...Her Mom works in our office and knew the breed because of my girls. She was on her way back to Tampa where she is studying to be a nurse, and had to stop in to see her. This poor girl was running over acres and acres of land trying to catch her.
IMG_1158.jpg
IMG_1159.jpg

This is Jim, our Service Manager, and owned by two IG's (after getting to know Star).....he is wishing he could take Layla home with him
IMG_1161.jpg
IMG_1160.jpg

So...that was my day...Layla, have a wonderful life...you deserve it :jump:
Linda
IGCA Rescue Volunteer

Star
11/23/90-7/13/05

Posted Image
"One of the unspoken truths of American life is how deeply people grieve over animals who live and die
with them, how real the emptiness is, how profound is the silence these creatures leave in their wake."
From Dog Years by Mark Doty
Posted Image
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then I want to go where they went.-Josh Billings

My Story, and why I love it here****Facebook****YouTube****ReversibleHarnessVestsByLinda

#57 IGW Guest: "RaffAndZeke"

IGW Guest: "RaffAndZeke"
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2008 - 06:53 PM

:jump: What a pretty girl!!! You are such a saint, Linda!! Sorry Layla didn't work out with your girls but she will definitely find the best forever home possible through rescue! I can't believe she survived out there for so long! What a fighter she is!

#58 OFFLINE   cyc1948

cyc1948

Veteran Dog

• Validating Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts
  • Name:Yvonne

Posted 25 August 2008 - 07:02 PM

Linda she is just a beautiful girl. She certainly went from zero human interaction to "I hit the jackpot" and loving every minute of the handling, holding and love!

Keep us posted on the placement of her.

I'll say it again YOU ARE OUR HERO!
Yvonne, Jazzie & Georgie's Mom
Posted Image

#59 OFFLINE   SoCalIggies4

SoCalIggies4

Guide Dog

• IGW Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,193 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 07:08 PM

Layla's story brings tears (happy tears) to my eyes. She is such a beautiful girl and had such beautiful angels watching over her. Keep us updated on her. She is in our hearts and part of our family now.

Visit Antonio's Page!

#60 OFFLINE   tinyfeetzfl

tinyfeetzfl

Guide Dog

• Premium Member
  • 2,068 posts
  • Name:Renee

Posted 25 August 2008 - 07:19 PM

What a happy ending and new beginning for Layla. Thanks for taking the time, effort, and heart to
rescue this little girl. She gets a wonderful life because of you! I hope you get to hear about her
from time to time and keep us posted.
Renee
Renee
Posted ImageIG Gili 10.25.06 (aka Tweety-Lou)

Posted Image

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us." ~Robert Louis Stevenson

#61 OFFLINE   Linda

Linda

IGW Admin

• IGW Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,586 posts
  • Interests:My interests involve Anything and Everything IG. I have been making my own raw diet since 2006 and now am a big fan of dehydrating...now making all my dogs treats as well. I also love sewing and enjoy making reversible harness vests.

Posted 25 August 2008 - 07:35 PM

Thanks guys....but I have NO DOUBT that given the same circumstance...each and everyone of you would have done the exact same thing. You just can't turn your back on an helpless animal..no less a helpless Italian Greyhound..my obsession. I wish things would have worked out....I'm just so happy about how this all worked out..I can finally sleep tonight knowing that Layla is having her first good night sleep in 4 months. Tomorrow, I'm going to make dog food and spend the day with my crazy girls.
Linda
IGCA Rescue Volunteer

Star
11/23/90-7/13/05

Posted Image
"One of the unspoken truths of American life is how deeply people grieve over animals who live and die
with them, how real the emptiness is, how profound is the silence these creatures leave in their wake."
Posted Image
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then I want to go where they went.-Josh Billings

My Story, and why I love it here****Facebook****YouTube****ReversibleHarnessVestsByLinda

#62 OFFLINE   Lori

Lori

Guide Dog

• 3,259 posts
  • Interests:I love being outdoors with my animal gang, I camp,fish, like getting scared by horror movie but a chick flix is nice once in a while.spending time with my boys !!
  • Name:Lori

Posted 25 August 2008 - 07:39 PM

She is a beauty :jump: sleep sound tonight knowing Layla will too :LMAO:
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion". ....

#63 OFFLINE   Linda

Linda

IGW Admin

• IGW Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,586 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 07:44 PM

Just got an email from Vicky at Rescue:

Linda,

All is going well here. The boys are in line, Roxie the minpin let Layla know who is boss and all is well. I'll email some pic tomorrow. Layla will have her spay next Tuesday. We have an approved adopter who recently lost her 15 year old iggy. Layla will be an only doted upon child if Layla likes this woman.

Pictures of Layla will be sent to this woman who is in Winter Garden or Winter Prk (I get them confused.) If I was not at my 5 dog limit, I would adopt her. She is a treasure. She will be sleeping in the big bed with me and Roxie tonight....I think that is the only way I'll get some sleep, hahahaha.

Vicky

I'm very happy..oh..the Wackenhut security guard who called Layla "his Dog"...on my way out to meet Vicky, with Rescue, I stopped by the development as I knew he worked from 6-midnight. When I pulled up next to him, I pointed down and he was so happy to see that she was now safe and out of the danger she faced every night. He just couldn't stop smiling. When he went to work and didn't see the trap, he was afraid that the development owners took the trap away. I think he will actually miss her.
Linda
IGCA Rescue Volunteer

Star
11/23/90-7/13/05

Posted Image
Posted Image

#64 OFFLINE   02iglets

02iglets

Pack Member

• IGW Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 986 posts
  • Interests:IG's,sewing, reading, thrift shops, garage sales, computer boards/forums, and genealogy.
  • Name:Edie

Posted 25 August 2008 - 09:29 PM

Just catching this and may I add my congrats on finally capturing Layla (I think she wanted to be captured :jump: ). Hard to imagine that length of time on her own and looking so good, at least on the outside. Best wishes to Layla on her new home.
~Edie
IGCA Rescue Rep
from Olympia, Washington

Mom to Mickey and Maddie

#65 OFFLINE   TiffyandSofi

TiffyandSofi

Big Dog

• IGW Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • Name:Tiffany

Posted 26 August 2008 - 12:17 AM

that is so great. i've been reading this story and praying!! so glad she is safe now. she kind of reminded me of sofi. oh if i was back home i would have loved to have her haha. i def have a thing for reds now :jump:
Posted Image

#66 IGW Guest: "hazenNmike"

IGW Guest: "hazenNmike"
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2008 - 12:50 AM

OMG, she is gorgeous!

Congratulations-your determination has brought her to safety and definitely prolonged her life and will bring a quality, healthy happy home too, I'm sure.

Amazing.

...she's a beauty.

#67 OFFLINE   Linda

Linda

IGW Admin

• IGW Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,586 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 02:49 AM

I would like to again mention those who stepped up to the plate, and offered their help if I needed anything in the effort to catch this dog. First, I called Christa of Rocket Angel IG's up in Caper Coral, who, through her contacts had Cathy of Mystic IG's call me. Cathy is the Breeder in my area, who also bought a trap and set it out, and the one who contacted me when she saw Layla in my trap, after going out to retrieve the trap she set out (we both felt it best that only mine be left out). Through Cathy, I met Vicky Hudlin, who does the rescue up in Port St. Lucie.

No matter what Forum you are a Member of, when it comes to saving a dogs life, there are no boundaries. Everyone involved in the IG community will go above and beyond, if possible, to help.

And of course, Vanessa...the 20 year old daughter of my friend, who first spotted Layla off of a busy road and was concerned enough to follow her for an hour and then called me for help. Without her getting involved, this dog would still be living a feral life.
Linda
IGCA Rescue Volunteer

Star
11/23/90-7/13/05

Posted Image
Posted Image

#68 OFFLINE   igandwhippetlover

igandwhippetlover

Veteran Dog

• Premium Member
  • 1,246 posts
  • Name:Marsha

Posted 26 August 2008 - 10:32 AM

Anytime we need an IG Rescue in Florida, remember IGCA has a Florida Rep. She is in Melbourne very near me as I volunteer for her. Her name is Leslie Snyder and her e-mail is Leslie2384@yahoo.com also her phone number is 321-536-0250. I did not see this until now with not being on very much because of personal problems.
Posted Image Posted Image

Rocket Angel Italian Greyhound Rescue, East Coast Florida Rep.
http://www.ilovemyjammies.com

#69 OFFLINE   shadowsiren

shadowsiren

Big Dog

• IGW Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • Name:Jessica

Posted 26 August 2008 - 10:36 AM

She's stunning...such a pretty girl. It's sad that she's become so defensive, I think she would have made a gorgeous addition to your pack (but you gotta do the best thing for your "kids"), but I'm very happy with how this turned out. I felt so bad for her out there in that sun and heat...

Puppies are nature's remedy for feeling unloved, plus numerous other ailments of life. -Richard Allan Palm

A person who has never owned a dog has missed a wonderful part of life. -Bob Barker

The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too. -Samuel Butler (Higgledy-Piggledy)

#70 OFFLINE   blueviolet

blueviolet

Pack Member

• IGW Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts
  • Name:adrienne

Posted 26 August 2008 - 12:38 PM

wow! that is amazing. hard to believe you got her and even harder to imagine her out there for so long. she is pretty. congrats to all for getting her !!!!

blueviolet
Posted ImagePosted Image

#71 OFFLINE   Kelly

Kelly

Guide Dog

• Premium Member
  • 4,353 posts
  • Name:Kelly

Posted 26 August 2008 - 03:15 PM

I am so glad she is doing well, and sounds like she will be adopted soon!
!!!THATS GREAT!!!
Linda, you are an angel to this little beautiful girl!!

#72 OFFLINE   Linda

Linda

IGW Admin

• IGW Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,586 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 03:21 PM

Just got an update from Vicky with pictures to follow later tonight!!!

Layla will be transferred to Leslie Snyder in Melbourne on Fri. night. I'll meet her in Vero at the outlet and she will present me with a year old intact boy (spud)who was found hanging by his coller on a fence on the west coast. I'll get his neuter here and I have a possible new home for him in Boca. Layla will be closer to her new placement.

Linda, you know when a widdle iggy tunnels under the big bed pillows, they are gone for the night. She did not move a muscle. Just wanted to be close and I was happy to share my bed. We are working on a potty schedule. Will pee outside but as it has been raining...a scented gift was left in the hall :D

ugh...that poor little boy...Thank you Rescue for Saving another IG.
Linda
IGCA Rescue Volunteer

Star
11/23/90-7/13/05

Posted Image
Posted Image

#73 OFFLINE   Linda

Linda

IGW Admin

• IGW Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,586 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 03:54 PM

Yet some more intersting updates today. Through Avid, Vicky was able to find out WHERE her chip was sold to....a HUGE outlet pet store in Miami that does mass selling of puppies in the newpaper/billboards and internet. She contacted them about finding out (for curiosity sake ONLY) who she was sold to. Layla was then transfered to their Boynton Beach Outlet and sold there. All her history beyond that is missing. This outlet pet store has been busted over the years for horrid conditions. This is why her upper incisors are in need of extraction, and her receeding gum line...genetic from a puppymill...poor baby.
Oh...her birthday is 9/25/05..3 YEARS OLD...Happy Birthday Layla confetti.gif
Linda
IGCA Rescue Volunteer

Star
11/23/90-7/13/05

Posted Image
Posted Image

#74 OFFLINE   blueviolet

blueviolet

Pack Member

• IGW Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts
  • Name:adrienne

Posted 26 August 2008 - 04:34 PM

well that is great that she is still so young and can get her IG life back on track - great news. shame about the pet store start in life. poor thing.

Blueviolet
Posted ImagePosted Image

#75 OFFLINE   SoCalIggies4

SoCalIggies4

Guide Dog

• IGW Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,193 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 06:02 PM

Oh Layla. Whatever her conditons that were before, I'm glad she was found by her angels and now can have the life she was meant to have. She'll have people who love her, will take care of her, and will be the center of their world.

Happy Birthday, Layla!!! Here's to you (and your angels, too!) Cheers!

Visit Antonio's Page!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users