Welcome to our forums!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. Registration is free, and you'll be able to have full access to our forum, chat, ads, galleries, classifieds, blogs, and all other features of our community.

Photo

IG on the loose in my area/USE OF A HUMANE TRAP

• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   Linda

Linda

IGW Admin

• IGW Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,586 posts
  • Interests:My interests involve Anything and Everything IG. I have been making my own raw diet since 2006 and now am a big fan of dehydrating...now making all my dogs treats as well. I also love sewing and enjoy making reversible harness vests.

https://www.facebook.com/ReversibleHarnessVestsByLinda

http://www.igwhispers.com/forum/index.php?showforum=53
  • Name:Linda

Posted 24 August 2008 - 11:00 AM

The place I was going to get the trap is out of buisness, but I found this one below. It's only 13" high and about 11"wide and 36" long..but if she is hungry she will go in. I found another trap earlier but took it back...a little bigger, but you had to put the whole trap ON TOP OF THE BAIT, DIRECTLY UNDER THE TRAP RELEASE...I thought it better if I could place the food inside of the cage rather than under the whole thing. I attached a towel on top if case she is caught and has to stay in there until I can check on her...also on the grate so she isn't so hesitant to step inside. I tested it on my dogs and Lexi was the only one to go after the treat. I also made laminated notices on both sides with my contact info and what the purpose of the cage was and to please not move it. Do you think the size is too small in height and width? I will go out about 4 and put it out. I also couldn't sleep last night...I'M ON A MISSION NOW. I got some little containers of Lil Caesar dog food (I know..but i want it to temp her) and will put some chicken hot dogs on top too. Oh, I called animal care and control and they were no help at all...said to bring her in when I caught her....right, ugh. I'm also going to cover the step plate with the towel..incase she is cautious of the shiny metal (might get hot too).
IMG_1142.jpg
Linda
IGCA Rescue Volunteer

Star
11/23/90-7/13/05

Posted Image
"One of the unspoken truths of American life is how deeply people grieve over animals who live and die
with them, how real the emptiness is, how profound is the silence these creatures leave in their wake."
From Dog Years by Mark Doty
Posted Image
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then I want to go where they went.-Josh Billings

My Story, and why I love it here****Facebook****YouTube****ReversibleHarnessVestsByLinda

#27 OFFLINE   SoCalIggies4

SoCalIggies4

Guide Dog

• IGW Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,193 posts
  • Name:Angelica

Posted 24 August 2008 - 11:06 AM

poor baby.

linda you definitely have a kind soul.
Greetings from Antonio, Alyssa, Alex & Adam

Visit Antonio's Page!

#28 OFFLINE   tinyfeetzfl

tinyfeetzfl

Guide Dog

• Premium Member
  • 2,068 posts
  • Name:Renee

Posted 24 August 2008 - 11:29 AM

Sounds ( and looks ) like a plan! I like it. Good luck with it, I sure hope that baby goes in. I might try something really smelly too
to entice her over, like salmon/tuna. I hope you dont catch any possums/racoons instead. I would put a stick in the car in case
you catch one of these and you have to coax them out of the trap and re-set it. I kept thinking during church this morning of ways
to catch this little one.. I had myself pictured laying on a blanket very still holding a can of cat food ready to grab a leg! These
guys are just too wiley and fast!
Renee
Renee
Posted ImageIG Gili 10.25.06 (aka Tweety-Lou)

Posted Image

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us." ~Robert Louis Stevenson

#29 OFFLINE   Linda

Linda

IGW Admin

• IGW Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,586 posts
  • Interests:My interests involve Anything and Everything IG. I have been making my own raw diet since 2006 and now am a big fan of dehydrating...now making all my dogs treats as well. I also love sewing and enjoy making reversible harness vests.

Posted 24 August 2008 - 11:54 AM

I have a can of sardines in the car as well as a stick. This place is a virtural desert...nothing...no trees, grass, only 100 acres of cleared land with a far away perimiter of grass and trees. Except for birds and insects..no life. I know, that unless she is trapped, she will end up dying out there or go out to the busy road outside of the development and get hit by a car...there is no way of catching her...she is that fast and timid...always on the move from what I saw. I'll take some pictures of the area when I go out at about 4. Hopefully, I'll get to get a picture of her too.
Linda
IGCA Rescue Volunteer

Star
11/23/90-7/13/05

Posted Image
"One of the unspoken truths of American life is how deeply people grieve over animals who live and die
with them, how real the emptiness is, how profound is the silence these creatures leave in their wake."
Posted Image
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then I want to go where they went.-Josh Billings

My Story, and why I love it here****Facebook****YouTube****ReversibleHarnessVestsByLinda

#30 OFFLINE   02iglets

02iglets

Pack Member

• IGW Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 986 posts
  • Interests:IG's,sewing, reading, thrift shops, garage sales, computer boards/forums, and genealogy.
  • Name:Edie

Posted 24 August 2008 - 12:06 PM

Looks like you got a good plan in place to capture her, just will do a lot of praying that she will fall for it. Best of luck and I sure would not take her into AC. How helpful they were to you. :wub:
~Edie
IGCA Rescue Rep
from Olympia, Washington

Mom to Mickey and Maddie

#31 OFFLINE   Linda

Linda

IGW Admin

• IGW Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,586 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 12:10 PM

Looks like you got a good plan in place to capture her, just will do a lot of praying that she will fall for it. Best of luck and I sure would not take her into AC. How helpful they were to you. :wub:

Oh don't worry, I won't be taking to AC. If I do catch her, and if it's on a week day she will go to my Vet to be scanned. After that..we'll see.
Linda
IGCA Rescue Volunteer

Star
11/23/90-7/13/05

Posted Image
Posted Image

#32 OFFLINE   Lori

Lori

Guide Dog

• 3,259 posts
  • Interests:I love being outdoors with my animal gang, I camp,fish, like getting scared by horror movie but a chick flix is nice once in a while.spending time with my boys !!
  • Name:Lori

Posted 24 August 2008 - 12:19 PM

Good luck Linda ....The towels are a good idea and it will be soft when you catch the little sweetie to rest on til you get her I HAVE FAITH!!!!
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion". ....

#33 OFFLINE   shadowsiren

shadowsiren

Big Dog

• IGW Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • Name:Jessica

Posted 24 August 2008 - 12:30 PM

Poor baby...I hope this works (and quickly!).

Puppies are nature's remedy for feeling unloved, plus numerous other ailments of life. -Richard Allan Palm

A person who has never owned a dog has missed a wonderful part of life. -Bob Barker

The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too. -Samuel Butler (Higgledy-Piggledy)

#34 OFFLINE   Kelly

Kelly

Guide Dog

• Premium Member
  • 4,353 posts
  • Name:Kelly

Posted 24 August 2008 - 03:15 PM

Poor baby, good luck Linda!

#35 OFFLINE   Linda

Linda

IGW Admin

• IGW Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,586 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 06:45 PM

What a night. Please feel free to cross post any pictures and information. I went out to the development with the trap ready to go. I spoke with the Wackenhut security guard and we again went over where she seems to always roam for food. Low and behold, there she is a few hundred feed away in an area I have seen her several times already, near some dumpsters and two huge mounds of dirt. There is no way to get near her. She is cunning like a fox..she can be several hundred feed away and if she spots a car or any movement, she takes off, leaping over whatever is in her way...obviousley not weak. The guards all now have my name and number and will pass it on the next shift of guards. I was there from 4-5:30, went home and returned at 6. The next guard comes to where I'm parked and tells me that this IG has been there FOR 3-4 MONTHS!!!! ....as long as he has worked there. He said that he has been feeding it every few days when he can by getting food at the 7-11, beef jerky, meat sandwiches, anything. He said that sometimes when he is out of his patrol car, the dog will bark at him from way off in the distance. He refers to this dog as "My dog"...he said he has a real concern for him. I tell him that he is a she. This guard, who sees this dog every day, has not even gotten close enough to tell the sex. Anyway....if she is caught tonight (prob not) they will call me. I'll stop by in the morning and change the food out. The concern is that there are foxes and raccoons in the area. If one of those is caught, I'll have to call Animal Care and Control for help. Rabies is a real concern here and a fox, who bit a child, was diagnosed with rabies a few weeks ago. The hip bones of this IG are protruding a bit, but for the most part looks far from starving. This dog is going to be very difficult if not impossible to catch I fear. She is too smart for her own good.

Imagine hundreds of acres of this....
IMG_1144_1.jpg

IMG_1143_1.jpg

I placed the trap in a sandwich board sign that is in front of the two mounds of dirt by the dumpsters..seemed like a good spot..enclosed from the elements...not out in the open.
IMG_1147_1.jpg

The front of the sandwich board
IMG_1148_1.jpg

Here she is....I cropped the picture I had of her to get a better look..poor thing...I wish she would realize there is help for her.
IMG_1146_1.jpg
Linda
IGCA Rescue Volunteer

Star
11/23/90-7/13/05

Posted Image
Posted Image

#36 IGW Guest: "ArchersMom"

IGW Guest: "ArchersMom"
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2008 - 07:09 PM

I am praying she is in the trap in the morning. She looks alot like Archer. Poor baby...

#37 OFFLINE   Lori

Lori

Guide Dog

• 3,259 posts
  • Interests:I love being outdoors with my animal gang, I camp,fish, like getting scared by horror movie but a chick flix is nice once in a while.spending time with my boys !!

Posted 24 August 2008 - 07:13 PM

WOW Linda your not kidding when your said open.....Poor girl...you are doing such a wonderful thing.
It is amazing how much a dog can take 3-4 months is a long time to be on her own...THANKS FOR CARING :) :)
Posted Image
You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion". ....

#38 OFFLINE   SoCalIggies4

SoCalIggies4

Guide Dog

• IGW Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,193 posts
  • Name:Angelica

Posted 24 August 2008 - 07:19 PM

Linda, you are an angel. i pray she will be safely tucked in when you arrive tomorrow.
Greetings from Antonio, Alyssa, Alex & Adam

Visit Antonio's Page!

#39 OFFLINE   Diavolessa

Diavolessa

Cat Chaser

• IGW Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Name:April

Posted 24 August 2008 - 08:55 PM

Thank goodness you found out about her. I really, really hope you catch her!

#40 OFFLINE   Mottster

Mottster

Pack Member

• IGW Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts
  • Name:Emily

Posted 24 August 2008 - 09:14 PM

Poor girl, I hope she'll let her hunger get the best of her and stay in the trap without panicking. She sure is a cute thing, and obviously VERY smart... I wish I was closer, I feel so bad for her but at least nothing bad has happened to her yet. You know Linda, you do have an odd number :)
Marine wife and mom to spoiled Mott and Enzo

#41 OFFLINE   cyc1948

cyc1948

Veteran Dog

• Validating Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts
  • Name:Yvonne

Posted 25 August 2008 - 06:38 AM

WE GOT HER!! CAN YOU BELIEVE!

LINDA JUST CALLED FROM THE SITE WHERE THIS BABY HAS BEEN LIVING FOR THIS PAST FOUR OR FIVE MONTHS.
SHE WAS IN A TRAP THAT ANOTHER RESCUE PERSON WAS CHECKING ON FOR LINDA. LINDA WILL GIVE ALL THE WONDERFUL DETAILS AND PHOTOS LATER IN THE MORNING. THEY WILL BE ON THEIR WAY TO THE VET IN JUST MINUTES OF THIS FANTASTIC CALL.

ISN'T IS AMAZING HOW THIS LITTLE DOG HAS BEEN SO RESOURCEFUL IN HER QUEST TO STAY ALIVE....THOSE LONG AGO INSTINCTS HIDDEN IN HER BRAIN FROM HER ANCESTORS OF LONG AGO HAVE SERVED HER WELL.

DID ANY OF YOU NOTICE HOW SHE DIDN'T WALK LIKE OUR NURTURED BABIES ...BUT SHE GAITED ALONG LIKE HER WOLF ANCESTORS, HEAD DOWN---ALWAYS AWARE OF HER SURROUNDING. THANK GOODNESS HER WANT FOR SOME EASY FOOD WILL END UP HOPEFULLY SAVING HER.

I WONDERED DURING THE NIGHT WHAT COULD HAVE HAPPEN THAT MADE UP HER SO COMPLETELY DISTRUSTFUL OF THE HUMAN RACE.

THE REHAB OF THIS AMAZING BABY WILL BE INTERESTING ,LETS JUST PRAY THAT SHE CAN BECOME TRUSTFUL OF US ONCE AGAIN....FOR HER SAKE.

LINDA WILL BE POSTING ALL THE DETAILS AS SOON AS SHE GETS BACK IN FROM THE VET.

LINDA YOU ARE OUR FAMILY HERO AND WE ARE SO PRUOD OF YOU...NOT TO METION WE LOVE YOU TO PIECES!!
Yvonne, Jazzie & Georgie's Mom
Posted Image

#42 OFFLINE   Lori

Lori

Guide Dog

• 3,259 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 07:00 AM

THANK YOU :) THANK YOU :wub: THANK YOU :wub: LINDA YOU ARE THE BEST !!! YOU NEVER GAVE UP AND BECAUSE OF YOUR INSISTANCE....SHE HAS A CHANCE TO FEEL SAFE AND LOVED :) WISH MORE PEOPLE CARED.....
Posted Image

#43 IGW Guest: "ArchersMom"

IGW Guest: "ArchersMom"
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2008 - 07:10 AM

Thank you Lord for answered Prayers. Can't wait for the update to see how she is doing.

#44 OFFLINE   Jane

Jane

Guide Dog

• IGW Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,294 posts
  • Interests:I love to knit, sew, crochet and of course spend time with the dogs.
  • Name:Jane

Posted 25 August 2008 - 07:27 AM

Just amazing and wonderful news! Linda, you're an angel!
Posted Image

#45 OFFLINE   shadowsiren

shadowsiren

Big Dog

• IGW Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 10:15 AM

Amazing!! I'm so happy, and I cant wait to hear from Linda!

Puppies are nature's remedy for feeling unloved, plus numerous other ailments of life. -Richard Allan Palm

A person who has never owned a dog has missed a wonderful part of life. -Bob Barker

The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too. -Samuel Butler (Higgledy-Piggledy)

#46 OFFLINE   cyc1948

cyc1948

Veteran Dog

• Validating Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 10:46 AM

Just talked to Linda. She has LAYLA[ JOE HAS ALREADY NAMED HER] is in the office. Went to the vet, got all the necessary injection. She was neg for heart worms in office test. Linda's vet sent out a test to be 100%. She was neg for any other worms. Front teeth look pretty bad due to diet and needs to be spayed.

She is at the office with Linda as I post this. That's the reason she asked me to do this up date date so she can get caught up from this mornings adventures.She will give a good one with photos this evening.

The best part is she is all over Linda. She doesn't want Linda to leave her sight. If Linda leaves her office for something[she is gated in] she whines and is looking for Linda. When Linda returns she acts like Please don't leave me again, now that you have found me. As Linda and I were talking she was in the dogie bed, head propped up keeping an eye on her new found love and savior. Linda began to laugh as hard as Layla tried to keep her eyes open she just went out like a light. What a wonderful sleep it must be with not having to stay on guard ...she has OUR HERO TO PROTECT HER.

GET THIS GUYS ,SHE HAS A CHIP BUT IT WAS NEVER REGISTERED! Linda's vet told her that this happens every day ,more likely than not. The owner gets the animal chipped then forgets to register the pet. He also said they think that's all there is to it. This is the saddest part of all.
Posted Image

#47 OFFLINE   Jane

Jane

Guide Dog

• IGW Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,294 posts
  • Interests:I love to knit, sew, crochet and of course spend time with the dogs.
  • Name:Jane

Posted 25 August 2008 - 10:56 AM

thanks Yvonne, I've been checking here like mad! Well, five little girls got their number upped, didn't they!? :)
Posted Image

#48 OFFLINE   cyc1948

cyc1948

Veteran Dog

• Validating Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 11:01 AM

Jane I bet you are right! Linda said she had to think about it. OK,RIGHT, AS I LAUGHTED AT HER.
Posted Image

#49 OFFLINE   shadowsiren

shadowsiren

Big Dog

• IGW Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 11:25 AM

Ehehe, Linda's five girls just became Linda's six... cant wait for picts and whatnot!

#50 IGW Guest: "RaffAndZeke"

IGW Guest: "RaffAndZeke"
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2008 - 12:12 PM

Way to go, Linda!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users