Welcome to our forums!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. Registration is free, and you'll be able to have full access to our forum, chat, ads, galleries, classifieds, blogs, and all other features of our community.

Photo

IG on the loose in my area/USE OF A HUMANE TRAP

• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Linda

Linda

IGW Admin

• IGW Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,586 posts
  • Interests:My interests involve Anything and Everything IG. I have been making my own raw diet since 2006 and now am a big fan of dehydrating...now making all my dogs treats as well. I also love sewing and enjoy making reversible harness vests.

https://www.facebook.com/ReversibleHarnessVestsByLinda

http://www.igwhispers.com/forum/index.php?showforum=53
  • Name:Linda

Posted 23 August 2008 - 12:52 PM

This past Thursday, a friend told me she saw a fawn colored IG on the side of a busy road. She pulled over to try to get it, but saw that a man had already pulled over near the dog. She drove away. Today, she called to tell me that the same IG was again out by the road. She and her boy friend were able to get it away from the busy road and into a cleared area of about 100 acres where a new housing develpment is going up. She called me and I came right over with STella. We are talking 100 acres of nothing but cleared land, sand and some water with all the rain. I spotted the dog, a fawn colored IG who took off and jumped an imbankment of sand. Stella and I walked the area for about an hour and didn't spot it. A security gurard came over and told me that the dog has been living in the field for about a MONTH!!!! And, that it is looking very thin...no one has been able to catch it, but that it comes to one area where the dumpsters are just about every night and sleeps during the day somewhere.

I called all around for a trap cage but can't find one. I'm going back out at about 5 with some food and water and Stella again in hopes of seeing if it will come over.

It was like looking for a needle in a haystack...nothing but sand and construction material. I'm going to call animal control tomorrow, if they are open, to see if they have a trap.

The poor thing has been out there for a month...in this awful weather :mosking:
Linda
IGCA Rescue Volunteer

Star
11/23/90-7/13/05

Posted Image
"One of the unspoken truths of American life is how deeply people grieve over animals who live and die
with them, how real the emptiness is, how profound is the silence these creatures leave in their wake."
From Dog Years by Mark Doty
Posted Image
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then I want to go where they went.-Josh Billings

My Story, and why I love it here****Facebook****YouTube****ReversibleHarnessVestsByLinda

#2 OFFLINE   Mottster

Mottster

Pack Member

• IGW Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts
  • Name:Emily

Posted 23 August 2008 - 12:59 PM

That's terrible. Hopefully she'll come to you and Stella and will be alright. I hate when there is any stray animal living on the street, never the less a poor ig.
Marine wife and mom to spoiled Mott and Enzo

#3 OFFLINE   Linda

Linda

IGW Admin

• IGW Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,586 posts
  • Interests:My interests involve Anything and Everything IG. I have been making my own raw diet since 2006 and now am a big fan of dehydrating...now making all my dogs treats as well. I also love sewing and enjoy making reversible harness vests.

Posted 23 August 2008 - 01:08 PM

There isn't even an IG rescue close to my area either. Stella got soooo hot walking around in the heat and with no shade anywere I had to carry her...she licked my face all the way back to the car. I fear that the only way this dog will be captured is when she/he is too weak to run anymore.
Linda
IGCA Rescue Volunteer

Star
11/23/90-7/13/05

Posted Image
"One of the unspoken truths of American life is how deeply people grieve over animals who live and die
with them, how real the emptiness is, how profound is the silence these creatures leave in their wake."
Posted Image
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then I want to go where they went.-Josh Billings

My Story, and why I love it here****Facebook****YouTube****ReversibleHarnessVestsByLinda

#4 OFFLINE   Mottster

Mottster

Pack Member

• IGW Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts
  • Name:Emily

Posted 23 August 2008 - 01:30 PM

If you do happen to catch her, what will you do with her? Bring her to the vet and try and contact the closest rescue? Has there been reports of any fawn IGs missing within 10-20 miles? If she's been gone for over a month there is a chance that she traveled a long way.
Marine wife and mom to spoiled Mott and Enzo

#5 OFFLINE   Dunn13

Dunn13

Guide Dog

• Premium Member
  • 2,627 posts
  • Name:Katie

Posted 23 August 2008 - 02:01 PM

Oh my gosh...I feel so sorry for the poor thing. I hope you can manage to get him/her some water and food at least, and maybe s/he will realize you are there to help. Please keep us posted on what happens.
Katie, Mobley and Kasia
Salt Lake City, UT

Posted Image Posted ImageA dog is the only thing that loves you more than he loves himself

#6 OFFLINE   IGDiva

IGDiva

Cat Chaser

• IGW Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Name:Lisa

Posted 23 August 2008 - 02:18 PM

There isn't even an IG rescue close to my area either. Stella got soooo hot walking around in the heat and with no shade anywere I had to carry her...she licked my face all the way back to the car. I fear that the only way this dog will be captured is when she/he is too weak to run anymore.

Linda, how far are you from Cape Coral? There is an IG rescue in Cape Coral called Rocket Angel Rescue, Christa Whittaker runs it. You may want to give her a call.
www.raigr.com
Christa Whitaker
Email: rocketangelig@earthlink.net
Phone: 239-560-9181

Good luck, I hope you find the poor thing.
Devoted Servant of the two Diva IGs
IGCA Rescue - FL Volunteer

#7 OFFLINE   About Time IGs

About Time IGs

IGW Admin

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,006 posts
  • Interests:IGs, Horses, Photography, Website & Graphic Design, and having fun!
  • Name:Laura

Posted 23 August 2008 - 02:27 PM

I called all around for a trap cage but can't find one. I'm going back out at about 5 with some food and water and Stella again in hopes of seeing if it will come over.

Here the animal shelters always have the wire box trap cages that you can borrow with a deposit left... You might try that.
~Laura
I used to have a life, but my dogs ate it!

Posted Image
Hope's Blog ~ www.HopeAnn.com
Just A Little Faith ~ www.JustALittleFaith.com
About Time Italian Greyhounds ~ www.AboutTimeIGs.com
About Time Web Design ~ www.AboutTimeWebDesign.com

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot, Poet

#8 OFFLINE   Kelly

Kelly

Guide Dog

• Premium Member
  • 4,353 posts
  • Name:Kelly

Posted 23 August 2008 - 04:10 PM

Poor baby, I hope you are able to get your hands on the little fella.
Good Luck

#9 OFFLINE   Linda

Linda

IGW Admin

• IGW Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,586 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 04:16 PM

UGH...I JUST GOT HOME AFTER 90 MINUTES OUT AT THE SITE. ANIMAL CARE AND CONTROL ARE OUT OF THE RENTAL TRAPS..WILL TRY TOMORROW.

ANYWAY....THE SECURITY GUARD TOLD ME THAT THE DOG USUALLY COMES OUT ABOUT 5-6. I WENT THERE AND WALKED AROUND, THEN PUT A CONTAINER OF DRY FOOD ABOUT 50 FT OFF THE ROAD. PICTURE THIS...THIS IS A NEW DEVELOPEMENT WHERE THE ROADS ARE DONE AND BARELY ANY HOUSES. I'M SITTING IN MY CAR AND I SEE THE IG CROSS THE ROAD OUT OF THE FIELDS...I SLOWLY FOLLOW IT WITH THE CAR, GET OUT AND SHE TAKES OFF, BY THE TIME I GET INTO MY CAR AGAIN I LOOSE HER, THEN I SEE HER AGAIN...THIS IS REPEATED A FEW TIMES.

I FINALLY WENT BACK TO WHEN IT HAD CROSSED THE STREET AND PUT DOWN ANOTHER CONTAINER OF FOOD ABOUT 20 FEET FROM MY CAR, ON THE SAND AS I'M SITTING IN MY CAR WITH THE DOOR OPEN POSED TOWARDS THE FOOD.

AFTER A FEW MINUTES, I LOOK BEHIND ME TOWARDS THE FIELD ACROSS THE STREET AND I SEE IT. IT JUST STANDS THERE AND LOOKS AT MY CAR...THEN IT TROTS ACROSS THE STREET...RIGHT TOWARDS THE FOOD I PUT OUT BY THE CAR. FEMALE, RED W/WHITE ON IT'S CHEST. WITH EVERY BITE OF FOOD SHE PICKED HER HEAD UP TO LOOK OVER HER SHOULDER. AFTER A FEW MINUTES, SHE HEARD MY HAND IN THE BAG OF DOG FOOD AND TOOK OFF....TOOK OFF RIGHT TO THE OTHER FOOD CONTAINER I PUT DOWN OFF THE ROAD...ATE SOME THEN TOOK OFF AGAIN.....SADLY I WENT HOME.

PLAN...TO PUT FOOD OUT FOR HER EVERY NIGHT, IN THE SAME SPOT UNTIL I CAN GET A TRAP SET. I FEEL SO HELPLESS....POOR BABY.

CAPE CORAL IS ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE STATE. I CALLED CHRISTA AND LEFT A MESSAGE FOR HER TO SEE IF THERE IS ANY ADVISE SHE CAN GIVE ME. WILL ALSO CALL LOCAL VETS ON MONDAY, CHECK CRAIGS LIST AS WELL AS PAST ISSUES OF THE LOCAL NEWS PAPER/LOST AND FOUND. GOING TO STORM AGAIN TONIGHT TOO...
Linda
IGCA Rescue Volunteer

Star
11/23/90-7/13/05

Posted Image
Posted Image

#10 OFFLINE   Lori

Lori

Guide Dog

• 3,259 posts
  • Interests:I love being outdoors with my animal gang, I camp,fish, like getting scared by horror movie but a chick flix is nice once in a while.spending time with my boys !!
  • Name:Lori

Posted 23 August 2008 - 04:45 PM

Linda you are such a kind soul :mosking: You must be soooo frusrated......My prayers are with you, Stella and the little lost one as you try and help.
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion". ....

#11 OFFLINE   tinyfeetzfl

tinyfeetzfl

Guide Dog

• Premium Member
  • 2,068 posts
  • Name:Renee

Posted 23 August 2008 - 04:55 PM

Oh no... I cant imagine how frustrated you must feel. The food at the same place and same time of day is probably the
only way to coax this little one to safety. Even if you can get close, it going to be pretty hard to catch her by hand.
I guess Crista would be the best one to ask what kind of trap is best. Please keep us posted!
Renee
Renee
Posted ImageIG Gili 10.25.06 (aka Tweety-Lou)

Posted Image

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us." ~Robert Louis Stevenson

#12 OFFLINE   Jane

Jane

Guide Dog

• IGW Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,294 posts
  • Interests:I love to knit, sew, crochet and of course spend time with the dogs.
  • Name:Jane

Posted 23 August 2008 - 05:05 PM

Linda, she must have some place she feels comfortable at during the night, or don't you think she would have left that area long ago? It will only take a time or two and she'll be waiting on you to come daily. Surely it won't take long to gain your trust, maybe another quiet IG could entice her closer? We'll be praying you get her.
Posted Image

#13 OFFLINE   Linda

Linda

IGW Admin

• IGW Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,586 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 06:07 PM

THERE ARE A FEW HOMES UNDER CONSTRUCTION AND LOTS OF THOSE BIG UNDERGROUND WATER PIPES (STORED ON THE LAND) SHE COULD USE FOR COVER IF NEED BE. THIS DOG, AFTER A MONTH, IS VERY FRIGHTENED AND TAKES OFF AS SOON AS SHE SEES YOU COMING. SHE WASN'T WEARING A COLLAR EITHER. I JUST PLACED AN ADD ON CRAIGS LIST FOR THE WEST PALM BEACH AREA FOR ANYONE MISSING AN IG. I'M GOING TO BRING MY CAMERA TOMORROW TO SEE IF I CAN GET A PICTURE OF HER. I NEED A TRANQUILIZER GUN OR A GUN THAT SHOOTS A NET...SHE WAS SO CLOSE TO ME TOO. WHEN I CALL ANIMAL CARE AND CONTROL TOMORROW, I'LL SEE IF ANYONE HAS REPORTED A DOG LIKE THIS MISSING.
Linda
IGCA Rescue Volunteer

Star
11/23/90-7/13/05

Posted Image
Posted Image

#14 OFFLINE   ChipnDaisy

ChipnDaisy

Pack Member

• IGW Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts
  • Name:Steve & Kate

Posted 23 August 2008 - 06:09 PM

Man, that is awful! I hope you can get her! Sounds like you have a pretty good plan, I wouldn't know what else to do. Hopefully the trap will help if you can get one. She doesn't know how lucky she is to have someone so concerned for her well-being. I wonder if you could put one of yours on a long leash and get her to become familiar with one of them....
Steve and Kate, parents to Chip, Daisy and Ella

#15 OFFLINE   Linda

Linda

IGW Admin

• IGW Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,586 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 06:15 PM

I wonder if you could put one of yours on a long leash and get her to become familiar with one of them....

I'M GOING TO BRING KARMA WITH ME TOMORROW TO SIT IN THE CAR WITH ME AND SIT ON MY LAP OR I'LL SIT IN THE CAR AND LET KARMA STAND ON THE GROUND ON HER LEAD. IF SHE SEES ME STANDING OUT OF THE CAR..SHE WILL JUST TAKE OFF.
Linda
IGCA Rescue Volunteer

Star
11/23/90-7/13/05

Posted Image
Posted Image

#16 OFFLINE   Linda

Linda

IGW Admin

• IGW Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,586 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 06:38 PM

JUST TALKED WITH CHRISTA. SHE WILL CROSS POST AND IF ANYONE WANTS TO CROSS POST ON ANY OTHER FORUM, THEY ARE WELCOME TO FROM THE INFO BELOW. SHE ALSO FEELS THE WAY TO GO IS WITH THE TRAP. I WILL TRY TO FIND ONE AS SOME AT THE LOCAL FEED STORES TOO...SOMEONE HAS TO HAVE ONE BIGGER THAN A RACOON TRAP, WHICH ARE THE ONLY ONE'S I'VE BEEN ABLE TO FIND..BUT THEY ARE TOO SMALL.

LOST RED, FEMALE IG, ABOUT UNDER 10 LBS. LIVING IN THE PORTOSOL SUBDIVISION, IN ROYAL PALM BEACH, JUST WEST OF THE SUPERTARGET ON THE NORTH SIDE OF OKEECHOBEE BLD. SHE HAS BEEN LIVING ON 100 ACRES OF CLEARED LAND IN THIS NEW SUBDIVISION BUT HAS A ROUTINE OF COMING OUT AND LOOKING FOR FOOD IN THE MORNING AND AT DINNER TIME. SHE WILL COME AND EAT FOOD WHEN LEFT OUT BUT WILL RUN AWAY IF APPROACHED. A TRAP WILL BE SET.

IF ANYONE CONTACTS YOU FROM ANOTHER FORUM AND WANTS TO CONTACT ME DIRECT, YOU MAY PM ME FOR MY PHONE NUMBER.
Linda
IGCA Rescue Volunteer

Star
11/23/90-7/13/05

Posted Image
Posted Image

#17 OFFLINE   Jane

Jane

Guide Dog

• IGW Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,294 posts
  • Interests:I love to knit, sew, crochet and of course spend time with the dogs.

Posted 23 August 2008 - 07:13 PM

I will post it over there. :mosking:
Posted Image

#18 OFFLINE   Dunn13

Dunn13

Guide Dog

• Premium Member
  • 2,627 posts
  • Name:Katie

Posted 23 August 2008 - 07:44 PM

I am just praying this has a happy ending...
Katie, Mobley and Kasia
Salt Lake City, UT

Posted Image Posted ImageA dog is the only thing that loves you more than he loves himself

#19 OFFLINE   02iglets

02iglets

Pack Member

• IGW Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 986 posts
  • Interests:IG's,sewing, reading, thrift shops, garage sales, computer boards/forums, and genealogy.
  • Name:Edie

Posted 23 August 2008 - 08:13 PM

Linda, I don't know what big Grey groups are in your area, but some of the groups have those humane traps. See if you could also connect up with one of those. There is a man named Michael McMann who is the big grey lost guru. I will see if I can find his contact info. He gives advice by phone especially on scared, shy dogs. He has tons of hints.
~Edie
IGCA Rescue Rep
from Olympia, Washington

Mom to Mickey and Maddie

#20 OFFLINE   02iglets

02iglets

Pack Member

• IGW Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 986 posts
  • Interests:IG's,sewing, reading, thrift shops, garage sales, computer boards/forums, and genealogy.
  • Name:Edie

Posted 23 August 2008 - 08:16 PM

Florida

Linda, here are two of them.

Greyhound Adoptions of Florida
ATTN: Marilyn Varnburg
Citra, FL 32113
Phone: 352-671-5333
Webpage
marilyn@ahome4greys.org

Will cover Central and South Florida.

Halfpint Haven Borzoi and Greyhound Adoptions, Inc.
904-693-3812
ATTN: Lisa Simpson
Jacksonville, FL
Shirazois@msn.com
Webpage

Will cover Northeast Florida
~Edie
IGCA Rescue Rep
from Olympia, Washington

Mom to Mickey and Maddie

#21 OFFLINE   Linda

Linda

IGW Admin

• IGW Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,586 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 08:36 PM

Florida

Linda, here are two of them.
Greyhound Adoptions of Florida
ATTN: Marilyn Varnburg
Citra, FL 32113
Phone: 352-671-5333
Webpage
marilyn@ahome4greys.org

Will cover Central and South Florida.

Halfpint Haven Borzoi and Greyhound Adoptions, Inc.
904-693-3812
ATTN: Lisa Simpson
Jacksonville, FL
Shirazois@msn.com
Webpage

Will cover Northeast Florida

Jacksonville is in North Fl almost in Georgia...I'm all the way south. Halfpint is in Citra, about 5 hours away. These are for Greyhound rescues though. I don't think there would be anything they could do to help from that far away. Thanks anyway. I have a list of Feed stores to call in the morning for a humane trap/cage.
Linda
IGCA Rescue Volunteer

Star
11/23/90-7/13/05

Posted Image
Posted Image

#22 OFFLINE   Linda

Linda

IGW Admin

• IGW Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,586 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 09:21 PM

I found a place that carries the cages.....how does this look for those who have used them before?
Linda
IGCA Rescue Volunteer

Star
11/23/90-7/13/05

Posted Image
Posted Image

#23 IGW Guest: "hazenNmike"

IGW Guest: "hazenNmike"
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2008 - 12:26 AM

Wow. I wish I was close enough to help you out. Very nice of you to try and try again, to help that poor baby.

#24 OFFLINE   tinyfeetzfl

tinyfeetzfl

Guide Dog

• Premium Member
  • 2,068 posts
  • Name:Renee

Posted 24 August 2008 - 04:46 AM

I have seen this trap used to catch a dog living by itself on an island. They caught him!
Apparently the dog must have fallen off a boat and swam to a deserted island and had
been living there for months before they called Animal Control and they caught him
with a trap that looked just like this one. The story was on TV.
I hope that Animal Control has one and its available!
Renee
Thankfully its not cold and in the middle of winter..
Renee
Posted ImageIG Gili 10.25.06 (aka Tweety-Lou)

Posted Image

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us." ~Robert Louis Stevenson

#25 OFFLINE   Jane

Jane

Guide Dog

• IGW Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,294 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 05:37 AM

we've used that exact one to relocate racoon. it works very well, and has always caught the racoon, no stolen bait without being caught. Make it too tempting to resist, maybe something fishy, such as sardines?

Linda, I could barely sleep last night, I kept envisioning holding the little girl to calm her fears. I'll be thinking of you all day in hopes that energy can transfer to Florida to aid you tonight.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users