Welcome to our forums!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. Registration is free, and you'll be able to have full access to our forum, chat, ads, galleries, classifieds, blogs, and all other features of our community.

- - - - -

Viva l'Italia!

Posted by Louie, 10 July 2009 · 331 views

Italian Greyhounds, puppies, dogs, adventures, thoughts, issues
Posted Image

The plane roared off the runway and ascended into the sky. Phoenix sure had a lot of swimming pools speckling its landscape and the mountains didn't look as big from up here, I thought. Later, we were over the Atlantic Ocean and there was blue water as far as the eye could see.

Mea, Karma, Zooey and the other girls were smudging up with windows with their noses and their tails were excitedly whipping the air. Gregio, always the cool one, had reclined his chair and was watching the in-flight movie with his shades on. I think he was actually sleeping.

"So what's the plan, Louie?," Abby asked. She was sitting next and looking at me with her big soft eyes. Our relationship had greatly improved since I told Mea we would just be friends. "Never in a million years did I think we would go to Italy and on official business. It's so exciting! It's like listening to a great Eagles song for the first time, like Sunset Grill."

"First Dog Bo sent me these papers and we're first going to make a humanitarian visit to L’Aquila," I said referring to the town that was struck by an earthquake earlier this year. It also turned out that President Barack Obama had not appointed a human ambassador so I might get stuck with dual responsibilities albeit for the short term. "Hey, maybe we can visit Pope Benedict in the Vatican? That would be fun."

"I can't wait to see all the historical sites," Deja purred. "Like the Colosseum, the Leaning Tower of Pisa, the Roman ruins. It's going to be... magical. Ooh la la, can we go to the Riviera too?"

All of a sudden, the plan jolted and began to tail dive. Something had happened to the engine and we could hear it sputtering. Everyone screamed and jumped into their seats. The sound was deafening and luggage began falling out of the overhead compartments.

"This is your captain speaking," the intercom said. "We are going to have to make an emergency landing. Strap in and prepare yourselves. Mayday, mayday!"

"This is it, this is it!," Karma yelled. "I can't believe this is happening. I never got to live my life. I never got to do all the things I wanted!"

My blood pressure began to rise and I was frozen in place. Could this really be the end? What if we survived and ended up stranded on an island? My thoughts were invaded with Lord of the Flies references.

The descent of the plane began to slow and eventually plateaued. The body straightened out and normalized. The captain's voice crackled over the intercom again.

"Sorry about that folks," he said. "We had some temporary engine failure but everything is fine now. Sorry for the inconvenience. We'll be landing in Rome in a few more hours. Enjoy the rest of the trip."

I looked around and everyone was panting. We began to laugh at our luck and at each other. Zoey and Karma hugged each other in glee. I licked the side of Abby's face in the gentle way we Italian Greyhounds do and looked around the cabin and smiled. Our fate lies not in the Atlantic Ocean and a good thing too. I didn't want us to become a Swiss Family Robinson repeat. Too much of a cliché.

Gregio stirred in his seat and took off his shades. He looked around in disbelief at the disheveled cabin.

"What did I miss?" he asked sleepily.

To read and see more, visit http://louiesdogblog.com

Posted Image

November 2017

S M T W T F S
121314151617 18

Recent Entries

Recent Comments

My Picture