Welcome to our forums!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. Registration is free, and you'll be able to have full access to our forum, chat, ads, galleries, classifieds, blogs, and all other features of our community.

- - - - -

Quote of the Day

Posted by lilven, 11 June 2009 · 278 views

"Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate." - Dante Alighieri, La Divina Commedia, Inferno, Canto III

I always enjoy reading quotes. But, since my husbands large Italian family only seems to say swear words in Italian, I had to look up the translation:
"All hope abandon, ye who enter in"

Dante is a wonderful poet.
That is the Henry Wadsworth Longfellow translation! I have copies of La Divina Commedia in its original Italian (leather bound and illustrated by S. Botticelli), and OMG I love that edition. It is gorgeous and was printed in honor of the 700th anniversary of Dante's birth. I also have two different versions of it in English, one being the Longfellow translation of it (both of those have the Gustave Dore illustrations). Dante is my favorite poet (followed by John Milton), and is also the reason one of my IGs is named "Dante." I took a Renaissance literature class in college, and really enjoyed it. The Divine Comedy was definitely my favorite though, and has been my favorite epic poem ever since I read it in Italian in my high school Italian class.

I am sure that I will be posting more Dante quotes.
That must be some beautiful book...somthing to def. pass down. I look forward to more "quotes of the day" smile.gif